Lockup 904 question

-
I have a 92 998 came out of a van it has the 1 wire going into the case, it's a small pass- through connector just above the pan rail left side near the tail housing and it goes into the TCC solenoid. I'm not sure what year it changed from hydraulic to electrical, have you had the pan off for inspection?

I have a 92 998 came out of a van it has the 1 wire going into the case, it's a small pass- through connector just above the pan rail left side near the tail housing and it goes into the TCC solenoid. I'm not sure what year it changed from hydraulic to electrical, have you had the pan off for inspection?
The car has the wire. The transmission does not. He wants to convert or find a transmission. I made the same mistake. He explains it in post #5

Wish you were closer to me. I would buy it if it was for sale and the price was right. There doesn't seem to many of these around.

Since you have a hydraulic lock up, "describe" the conditions you want to control TCC lockup?
The hydraulic lockup has mechanical control to disengage L/U like on Decell and acceleration just to turn it off you can control. You have the easiest trans to control TCC off.
It takes more work to convert the electrical TCC to control when and how to turn off without a controller.

Many years ago I had an 88 d100, was the biggest POS I have ever owned, to which I attribute to being a 1st year Holley TBI setup you all know what they say about buying a vehicle that's the first to have _______ on it.
I spent more "good money after bad" trying to make that truck get me more than 8mpg when I didn't have a major tailwind behind me..... even my 79, full time 4wd ramcharger and my D300 dually weren't as thirsty as that 88 was ....

Among all that money spent was a swap from a 904/998/999 which was stock/original to the truck, to a 518 with OD. My original trans had a sending unit facing the back of the truck out of the trans case, that was a computer control for the LU. It looked just like a coolant temp sending unit from all outward appearance. .I don't remember my 89 diplomat having the same. Though it was carbureted. That may have been the difference in whether a given vehicle of the time had it or didn't.

Just a update. I spoke to Rick at A&A transmission, and this is what he told me. The 998 electric LU has 12v applied to the single wire at the trans to lock up the converter. This is controlled by the engine computer on 88 and newer FI vehicles. The converter can be controlled at any speed or throttle position as long as the trans is in high gear (third), with that 12 volt signal. OK, now I know how it works.
Next:
I want to try and convert a slant six 904 to have this feature. Rick said I should be able to do this by swapping the 998 guts into the slant six 904 case (need to be a slant six 904 hydraulic LU trans). I would have to put a hole in the case for the electrical wire. The only thing he couldn't tell me was if there was enough room inside the slant six 904 case for the electrical solenoid. Looks very possible, so I will buy a core small block 998 LU trans.

Now the reason: I have a 64 Valiant with a slant that gets very good fuel milage. It has a 3 speed on the column. I also have a 84 D-100 slant six with a 833od trans. I'm getting older and starting to have a little trouble using the clutch. The D-100 is a candidate for a A-500 (which I have) swap, but I do not want to cut the floors on the 64 Valiant, so there for the 904/998 LU trans.
Clear as mud?

Met a member, today. DSTRTIME Real nice guy. He had a A998 electric LU trans that he not only "donated" to the project but delivered it to my house. Hopefully, in a couple of weeks I will be able to get a look inside, both the slant six 904 and the A-998 to see if the conversion looks like it is doable.
Thanks, Alan

-
Back