Lockup torque converter not unlocking

-

squarewheels

Reaction score
Hi All,

For my first post I am bending the rules a bit. Hope no one is offended. I am in need of assistance with a problem I am having with my A998 lockup transmission. I believe the lockup torque converter is trying to lock up when the vehicle is stationary, and put into gear. About 75% of the time, the engine stalls when put into D or R. Occasionally, the engine stalls when on the road and coming to a complete stop. The engine will not stall when put into gear when one rear wheel is jacked up (off the ground).

I picked up an ATSG manual to help me identify the parts and fix the problem. Too bad I don’t have much automatic transmission sleuthing skills. I removed the valve body today. The transfer tube between the lockup module and main valve body is very loose. It must be a source of a large leak when pressurized. Can this be the cause of the torque converter locking up? From what I read in the manual, this seems to be opposite of what I would expect – pressure is needed to lock the converter. Therefore, a leaking transfer tube would cause no lockup or a weak lockup

I am including a link to a picture of the valve body and distribution tube. The red arrows point to the tube ends that are very shinny and worn from movement.
http://www.partsshed.com/998ValveBody.jpg

FYI: this is a A998 out of a 85 AMC Eagle. It is now in a Jeep YJ I am fixing for my nephew. The 998 is a junkyard transmission. It looked like it was rebuilt several years ago so I took a chance with installing it without being rebuilt.

Regards,

Steve

I did replace the transfer tube -- no help.

The torque converter was bad. Put a rebuilt one in and it cured the stalling problem. :-D

did you check the lock up solenoild?...it has a screen that can get clogged and the trans will not unlock....

There is no lockup solenoid. The lockup is hydromechanical, not electric. First year for electric lockup was '87, I believe.

-
Back