loctite K frame?

-

Dragnut

Reaction score
Im reinstalling the Kframe and wondering if I should use Loctite on the bolts?

Never seen a K frame bolt come loose. The steering box bolts like to loosen up though. Would not hurt to use some blue lock tite on those.

The torque specs are developed on the parts to be as they come into the factory... It depends on what finish was spec'ed on the parts that determines the torque... Adding oil to the bolt will change the friction on the threads and you risk over tightening them...

80% or more of the torque on a bolt/nut is affected by the surface friction on the threads... Oil will reduce the surface friction and cause you to tighten the bolt more than it was spec'ed at and will cause you to over tighten the bolt and over stretch it and may cause it to fail after time...

Adding oil to a fastener that was not spec'ed for that oil/friction will cause it to be over the intended clamp load...

I have always put antiseeze on k frame bolts, then check their torque a time or two after the car has been driven. I would not use loctite, the last thing you want is to tear one of the nuts loose inside the frame rail if you ever try to remove the bolts.

I have always put antiseeze on k frame bolts, then check their torque a time or two after the car has been driven. I would not use loctite, the last thing you want is to tear one of the nuts loose inside the frame rail if you ever try to remove the bolts.
I just cleaned them up with a wire brush and hit em with some compressed air... torqued them to 150 FP

30F1D1AF-84E0-4039-84C2-FBE51D4ED9A7.jpeg

B44121FB-676A-4EE7-B9EC-D24DC053813A.jpeg

-
Back