Lokar Installation

-

greg r

Reaction score
With thanks to others for their informative help on my Dart's shade tree throttle/kickdown lash-up; I've purchased a complete Lokar kickdown, throttle, and spring return components. Right now it looks like I may need another arm for the valve body kickdown shaft. The OEM one has a pin swaged to it and I don't want to ruin it to make a hole for the ball stud. Any places to get one?
IMG_1580.JPG

IMG_1578.JPG

It's tight up there, do they "vacuum pack" the body to these things? :)

If you are not in a hurry (like today makes all the difference) you should give some of the guys on here time to get home.
That's a lot money for that lever and I know for a fact there are some around here.

I would double check the package
I'm pretty sure it should have been included

Nothing in the package. I searched earlier a week? ago and didn't find much that matched, or an upper link before I went Lokar. Now is seems there is some out there, maybe my search string improved. The thing I noticed is the angle of the D clamp and arm length seems to match better than others. Good point on the wait.

There are several kickdown (Throttle pressure) levers out there. Is there a measurement from where the lever mounts,to where the cable mounts on the lever? Factory 2 barrel is longer than 4 barrel. I had 2 that were the same length, but the location of the flat in the D shaped hole that goes on the transmission was different . Swapping the levers made all the difference. I would be sure it's what you want before spending that kind of money. Since you are going after market , and if there is a measurement for the lever, why not just use yours, and drill at the correct length?

but the location of the flat in the D shaped hole that goes on the transmission was different . Swapping the levers made all the difference.
That's the quandry I'm in, I do not know at this point. Just the TF727 had 4 levers and lengths depending on A body, B body, big block or small, and/or model year, etc. My parts list shows 3 for Belvedere, Coronet, Fury, Polara, depending on engine etc; the Dart shows 2 depending on 6 or 8 cylinder apparently regardless of 2 or 4BBL though the upper link for the kickdown is different per carburetor. The eBay link had the closest match to date and the"high" price was Canadian. I made a counter offer for about $20US which doesn't seem bad considering all the variables of length and D hole angle; and waiting for the right one "JimBob assures he has somewhere in the back forty". NOS at Collector Auto Supply was $30. They had the differential shims I needed and knew what they where, farther ahead than other places in that respect. They seem to be an okay outfit. This project has gone on for 5 years, I'm willing to annie up a bit for time saving. She's down to this one part to be road worthy.

It seems to me, you will still need a measurement to get the correct pull on the lever. Maybe check with Lokar.

Here it is, the job is finished and working perfectly.
I was able to locate the appropiate lever arm for the transmission. The stud one is the original, the one I required is next to it. Same length, and almost the same angle of the D hole. This way an OEM part is saved for future use by me or anyone else. I have good carb/transmission response at various speeds and gears, kickdown/passing gear works, and 4 barrels of the carb can now go WOT. Thanks for all the help; this site ROCKS!
IMG_1586.JPG
IMG_1581.JPG

-
Back