Lokar kick-down cable help

-

Mick Semantel

Reaction score
Trying to hook up a Lokar kick down cable on my 904 360. Car is a 75 Dart swinger. I looked at the ink blot they call a diagram. Anybody hook one of these up? I need help!

The installation instructions from lokar are absolutely crap. What they dont tell you is that the cable needs to be pulled instead of pushed by the carb linkage.

The only way to do this is to have the end of the cable attached to a point 180degrees out of synch with the regular carb linkage cable. in otherwords on the bottom of the throttle lever on the carb. You may have to fab up something to make it work - you'll need to have the new pivot for the lokar the same distance center lined as the throttle pivot relative to the carb's butterflies.

You will also need some sort of angle iron to mount the cable to. What we did was knock the stud out of the throttle bracket and put a thru bolt with the angle iron hanging under the the throttle cable clamped area. The angle iron needs to have a hole for the kickdown cable to pass thru.

Once you get this sorted out it works extremely well and is easy to adjust. There is a competitive system made by bouchillon, that has most of what I described in their installation instructions for their cable kickdown. google bouchillon performance. good luck -

I bought an adjustable throttle cable bracket from http://www.magnumhp.com/ and this eliminated the need for an extra bracket to hook the cable to at the engine end. The cable does attach to the bottom of the carb lever/linkage, which reverses the movement at the transmission.

What that means is you have to take the cable PAST the kickdown lever on the tranny, bolt the bracket to the tailshaft bolt, then bring the cable back to the lever from the rear of the car. Does that make any sense? I'll try to get a couple of pictures. Also, I found some good info on moparts.com about this....search the forums for "lokar", and you should find the thread.

Let me know if you need photos or additional help.

monoptn, pics would be great. If I saw pics I would have no problem with the install. Thanks guys for all the replies. Probably the last time I use Lokar products. Whats up with the crapy pics they use any ways? Just enough to get someone into trouble.

This is how I mounted my throttle and kickdown both by lokar.

throttle cable3c.jpg

Sounds like a strong vote to go with a manual V body. I always thought those aftermarket kits just bolted on. Boy was I wrong.
Mike

dusterdood said:
Sounds like a strong vote to go with a manual V body. I always thought those aftermarket kits just bolted on. Boy was I wrong.
Mike

they do bolt right on pretty easily... the diagrams in the directions aren't the greatest but it really isn't that hard to do...

Mick Semantel said:
Trying to hook up a Lokar kick down cable on my 904 360. Car is a 75 Dart swinger. I looked at the ink blot they call a diagram. Anybody hook one of these up? I need help!

where is the problem your having?

My problem is where on the trans to mount the cable. The diagram they have is a joke. The reason I went to the Lokar system is due to the fact that I don't have a factory kick down, and I figured I would put some "bling" under the hood. I also have the Lokar throttle and the Lokar bracket as well. The pictures are really nice to have. Another question I have is will the kick down cable interfere with my shift mechanism on the trans?

it will mount to the tail housing bolt.. the cable wraps around and connects to the kickdown leaver from the back of the trans.

it shouldn't bother the shift linkage at all... the only thing i encountered was that the anount of stud that stuck out of the bottom of the kickdown leaver was a little too much and it hit the shift leaver.. i put a couple washers under the ballstud and it cleared fine..

Hotwheelsjr said:
It's an Eddy 1407 (750cfm). Nothing special....

Ah. I'm not really familiar with the eddies. Weber must be making the castings for them.

abodyjoe said:
it will mount to the tail housing bolt.. the cable wraps around and connects to the kickdown leaver from the back of the trans.

ditto that mounting place, also use a spring from the kickdown lever to the front of tranny for full return.

If get over to St Paul. you could look at mine.
PM me if you like.

-
Back