Lokar kickdown and KD lever length

-

ClassicSnap

Reaction score
Morning all,

Just looking for clarification here.
As the old rod linkage was essentially a 1 to 1 movement from carb to KD lever, would I be right in thinking that to get the leverage right for a cable setup would be to measure from the pivot point of the carb bracket to the center of the stud where the Kickdown cable attaches on it. And let's say it's 1.25". Take that measurement, then measure on the Kickdown lever from the center of the pivot point where it connects to the trans, 1.25" and drill a hole? Reason I ask is that the lever I have is one of the longer ones and the ratio is off by a country mile. Simple solution would be to drill a hole, am I right? Looking for some insight. Carb is a Holley 770 and trans is a 727.

Thanks for any info you provide.

Last edited:
Yes but it will take some trial-and-error. You might want to drill a few holes so after you get it hooked up and test drive you have additional adjustments if needed.

You will also most likely want to add a light return spring down at the transmission lever

Best part of this is that my exhaust pipe where it connects to the headers are in the way, so each time I touch the KD lever, I have to wait for it to cool down and then remove it. And of course I don't have a hoist so I'm laying on my back doing this, so would rather try and get it right the first time. :p

You can also get it ballpark at the transmission lever and make an adapter at the carb for some finer adjustments if that's easier.

So if I was to fab something for the carb end, would something like this work? The pin below that flat piece I'm holding is the stud where the KD cable attaches.

IMAG1177.jpg

what shift leaver are ya using? i always use the short abody leaver and have never had to modify any brackets..

I have no idea, it's a long sucker. Can you point me in the right direction for an A body one? Searching KD levers on Google just brings up the wrong stuff, or better yet, do you have one??

don't think i have any laying around here to get a pic of but this looks kinda like it.. see how short it is?
Capture.JPG

Yup, woukd rather take the right piece and not go and drill holes. If you do find one amongst your collection of stuff, please let me know asap as the car isn't moving anywhere until I get this right. Anyone reading this got one??

Yup, woukd rather take the right piece and not go and drill holes. If you do find one amongst your collection of stuff, please let me know asap as the car isn't moving anywhere until I get this right. Anyone reading this got one??
I have the shortest lever on my car and it isn't right, I had to modify it. My carb is an Edelbrock though.

EDIT:
Or am I missing something? Is there an even shorter aftermarket kickdown lever? If so that would be awesome. Hopefully someone can chime in.

Last edited:
Take a peek at this, no wonder people are having to drill holes with so many styles of levers out there.
Again, if anyone is reading this, I need an A body KD lever.

Capture.JPG

-
Back