Lokar kickdown install

-

snowymountainman

Hair in the breeze
Reaction score
Anyody here running a Lokar kickdown on their 727? If so let me know how you installed it. I'm staring at mine (New in Box) thinking I'd like to take the fish for a spin but I keep hearing that running them without kickdowns is bad.

Thanks guys.

They should be the same. Just wondering if I have everything I need before I go crawling under this ol beeeyatch to hook it up. Neve messed with a cable operated kickdown before.

I had to jury rig a spring down on the transmission to help pull the kickdown lever back. Befor I did this, it would kickdown when you mash the gas, but it was like the cable would get stuck. So when you started slowing down the trans would downshift. Then if you took off slow, it would hang in 2nd too long. Not sure why it did that, the cable didn't bind. But the spring I added fixed it.

I used the MagnumHP throttle bracket when I switched the 2bbl manifold out for the 4bbl. It has a provision for the Lokar cable. I got some pics somewhere. I'll find them and post shortly.

This is the best pic I have of it.

linkage.jpg

That's a Carter AFB carb, not sure what would be different on other carbs, but the hookup at that lower hole seems just perfect on my setup.

Greg! That's awesome! Where did you get that bracket? Is that off of a magnum (late model small block) engine or something else? Thanks buddy.

Mine came from eBay. As long as nobody bids against you, you can pick it up a few bucks cheaper than what MagnumHP lists it for.

Just spoke with Greg at Magnumhp and the bracket goes in the mail today! Thanks Guys! You Rock!! Whoooohoooo :headbang:

GotDart, do you have any pics of the spring you installed on the trasmission end. I installed the lokar kickdown, but not much instructions for the tranny connection. I also have the same downshifting and staying in second too long problems that you had.

wingsting said:
GotDart, do you have any pics of the spring you installed on the trasmission end. I installed the lokar kickdown, but not much instructions for the tranny connection. I also have the same downshifting and staying in second too long problems that you had.

Sorry, don't have a pic of that. If I recall, I used the small inner throttle return spring from my original 2bbl carb. I hooked one end to the ball stud that comes with the Lokar cable. I don't remember exactly what the other end hooked to. I do remember it was a pain in the butt to get my hands in there work on it. The idea is for the spring to pull opposite of the cable. Hope this helps.

-
Back