lokar kickdown linkage 727 question on 440

-

Mopar King

Beginner / Need of Help
Reaction score
hello, i been breaking my head all day yesterday and today; i think finally finish setting up my linkage but i just wanted your guys opinions. im not sure if i did this correct.

also, just wanted to know, The transmission lever pulls the kick-down when driving? when parked the kick-down stays still even if you pressed the gas.

got to make a bracket to hold the kick-down still as seen in picture.

forgive me im new to the linkage cable world and its my first shot at it hands on approach.

any info helps

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 2,791
  • 2.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 2,595
  • 3.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 1,479
  • 4.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 1,416
  • 5.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 1,388
  • 6.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 1,418
The diagram shows the linkage attached at the rear and pulling the kick-down lever towards the rear. Is yours attached at the front pulling forward?

Yep just did mine on a 904 and the trans mount point for the cable is on the tail shaft bolt not the bell housing bolt OOOPS!!. If ya need it i can go out and get ya a pic, the cars on the lift right now. Let me know:toothy8:.

opps one pic is upside down sorry about that.

as for the linkage attached in the front of the transmission - yes
not really pulling forward, i just slipped the cable screw in the hole of the transmisson lever. am i suppose to attached the cable toward the rear and have the lever pushed to the back.

I forgot to add its for a:

440 engine
727 transmission - auto
Old carter thermoquad 4 barrel

opps one pic is upside down sorry about that.

as for the linkage attached in the front of the transmission - yes
not really pulling forward, i just slipped the cable screw in the hole of the transmisson lever. am i suppose to attached the cable toward the rear and have the lever pushed to the back.

I forgot to add its for a:

440 engine
727 transmission - auto
Old carter thermoquad 4 barrel
Look at fig. 2 of the instructions, cable end is bolted on the lever and cover mount is bolted to the tail shaft. My big fat headers get in the way for pics but this is what it looks like on the 904. i believe the 727 to be the same.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 1,331
  • 001.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 1,286
  • 002.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 1,342
The last pic (Prev. Post) shows the cable mount to trans tail shaft bolt and turning back up to front of motor and carbs er.. carb in your case. Here's a pic at the other end. Its a Holly but same idea.

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 1,347
  • 009.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 1,269
so i have the cable end bolted correctly but i didn't mounted it right. going to fix that tomorrow.

-im guessing the cable goes into a u-turn on the bottom of the transmission to bolt on.

-for the lever, do i have to pull and hold it to the back as i mount the cable bolt and keep it backed. i'm still in the dark on how the transmission lever work.

so i have the cable end bolted correctly but i didn't mounted it right. going to fix that tomorrow.

-im guessing the cable goes into a u-turn on the bottom of the transmission to bolt on.

-for the lever, do i have to pull and hold it to the back as i mount the cable bolt and keep it backed. i'm still in the dark on how the transmission lever work.
You are gussing right the cable turns 90* and heads back to the carb. As for the trans kick down lever it should remain where you have it now "all the way to the left as you are looking at it. when you have followed the rest of the steps i think its step 8 ? where you pull the cable all the way out at the carb while holding the throttle wide open and secure the stop. At this point your trans kick down leaver should be all the way to the right. Make sure as you open the carb you cable is going the other way or simple "the less throttle cable you see at the carb the more kick doun cable you should see" as one goes one way the other goes oposite. Crap hope this helps it's just one of those things that when it comes to ya you think :banghead: that was easy.

alright, im almost there , i done all the right steps this time. made the cable do a u-turn below the transmission and hooked it to the lever, i then pulled the inner cable all the way toward the front of the engine that there is no more to pull while holding the gas throttle open all the way down.

now here is where i get stumped on a few things:

- is the trans. lever suppose to be all the way towards the back of the tailshaft with no play toward the bell hosing ; the front

- everything is set up, now when i move the gas throttle cable all the way open is the kick-down suppose to move? did i over tighten the kick-down cable stopper?

I am not seeing the kick-down cable moving, is the car suppose to be on drive? maybe i hook-up the kick-down cable wrong on the front- its together with the throttle,

I am doing this on park with the car off, i must be doing something wrong up top, will upload pics

I have the Lokar kickdown on my dart with a 727. Its attached to a Holley up top. I had adjusted it so when the throttle is all the way to the floor the cable at the carburator should be moving towards the front of the car and the kickdown lever should be pulled all the way back. Then tighten the cable. Make sure you have the adjuster nut at the carb side about in the middle of the threads so you can do some fine adjusting to get it where you like it shifting.

reason i went with a cable setup is because the car didn't had a kickdown linkage just a small metallic wire wrapped onto a metal line. I also don't think a linkage would fit and even then i don't have it. So i went with a cable setup.

Still having the problem of cable not moving when you open throttle all the way. maybe its has to do with where the cable is at the top, does it have to be even with the throttle or below? maybe its also the bracket where it holds, i don't have anywhere to hold the cable bracket.

sorry if i couldn't explain it more clearer or if i left out something, trying my best explaining in detail

I can't use the lokar srk 4000 because i won't be straight and won't reach, I am using the Holley 20-7 bracket which sort of works.

Here's what mine looked like on install, linkage mounted rear. The second pic is of the carb setup.
vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

reason i went with a cable setup is because the car didn't had a kickdown linkage just a small metallic wire wrapped onto a metal line. I also don't think a linkage would fit and even then i don't have it. So i went with a cable setup.

Still having the problem of cable not moving when you open throttle all the way. maybe its has to do with where the cable is at the top, does it have to be even with the throttle or below? maybe its also the bracket where it holds, i don't have anywhere to hold the cable bracket.

sorry if i couldn't explain it more clearer or if i left out something, trying my best explaining in detail

I can't use the lokar srk 4000 because i won't be straight and won't reach, I am using the Holley 20-7 bracket which sort of works.
:-kOk here is as simple as i can make it. Your throttle shaft is the pivot point for both the trottle cable and the kick down cable so if the trottle cable is hooked on the bracket above the throttle shaft then your kick doun must be hooked to the empty hole in your bracket below the shaft. Look at pic in instructions or mine on the X ram or pic from member Chameleon. all show throttle cable above and kick down cable below the throttle shaft. The way yours is hooked up in your pic the kick down and throttle cable are both above the shaft.

The difference between the instructions, pictures you guys are helping and my carb is that you have the empty hole at the bottom to hook the kickdown. As for me I don't see a hole to hook it like the instructions or like in the pictures - unless im blind. ](*,)

I have the kickdown almost even with the throttle cable which i know its not right. maybe im missing a bracket, I am also looking at other websites as well but no thermoquad carb set-ups but i did find good pics - these are not mine using from different website

even by looking at the pictures of everyone set-up i don't have the lower bracket hole

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=5314093&page=0&fpart=all&vc=1

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=55666.0

http://www.moparchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31548

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=7732.0

http://moparforums.com/forums/f11/throttle-shaft-seal-2131/

Attachments

• carbu06.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 2,085
  • 2007_0926Image0009.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 1,193
  • linkage3.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 1,464
  • Lokar linkage.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 2,723
  • Lokar linkage2.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 2,154
I think you might be able to hook it to the bracket your on now but the empty hole lower down and toward the front of the car. Open the throttle and see if that point moves up and closer to the front? i think it will work from the pic you posted but you will have to mount the cable lower to line it up , not sure from your pic if thats possible. :-k

I dont think the cable will work without the front of the cable carb side being mounted. you need to buy the srk 4000 bracket that holds the cable to the carb base plate. Then adjust it looks like you have alot of cable hanging out the end. Mounting the cable to the tail shaft is a good start that way it is pulling in the right direction. once mounted open the carb all the way, pull the cable carb side all the way, then take that round thing on the end of the cable with an allen set screw push it up as far as it gos then tighten the set screw. And you should be very close to the adjustment you want.

been busy making some bracket that holds the wire straight and still. I haven't gotten to take photos because my camera decided to crap out on me

I did tried to mount it on the lower hole but it wasn't straight enough and was hitting the "vacuum advance or ERG" not sure what the name is on that part. I was thinking of making a hole on the bottom of the Holley bracket Part #20-7 to make the wire come straight.

Intake is cast iron in case someone wanted to know

I shoot a few more pictures tomorrow

as for the trans. lever does the lever return to forward fully (Idle position) or does it stay close to the rear? Im adjusting the kick-down and i see that it doesn't return to idle position (forward of the car), not really going back to forward position unless i loosen the Allen screw on the kick-down then it goes forward. I added a small spring on he trans. lever to help it go forward but has little to no effect.

been looking for an answer on the lever position when cable is install? how far forward is it suppose to be at? position-wise?

If your carburator is stock and doesn't have the bottom tab, you can use two 2" 90 degree angle braces from Home Depot. i doubled them up for extra strength, you can see them in the picture. as far as the throttle linkage on the transmission, i push back on the lever (there is usually quite a bit of free slack that does nothing ) until i just feel a light pressure starting and thats were i make my intial setting, which is usually real close, and will need very little tweaking
67barracuda.jpg

I did search Bouchillion and heard a lot of good responds on their kick-down cable kits but since I have the lokar already it has to be used.

Gerry, I did almost the same thing, I when to Home depot and bought me a large steel corner lines, cut them and used them as brackets. I also added a spring to the lever to return it forward but didn't help much. Im playing with two different brackets

can you explain to me more about the Transmission lever;

-where should it stand when idle? how far forward is the cable suppose to
to when finishing tightening the K.D. Cable?

-does it matter if the lever does not go all the way forward?

-does it matter if the lever is all the way to the back and there is very little space between front(Idle position) to Back ( at WOT) like about less than half an inch?

- as for the kickdown cable, is it suppose to move little like less than half an inch when on WOT or is it suppose to move alot? I keep getting the "little movement" result but maybe that can be my bracket i made, not sure?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 1,172
  • 2a.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 1,114
  • 3.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 1,102
the throttle lever on the transmission has a lot of freeplay at the start, so make your intial adjustment (with the spring that you've put on, removed, you don't need it) from when you push the lever back by hand, and just start to feel a light pressure, that's were i connect the lokar cable with no freeplay and the gas linkage at idle. that transmission throttle lever actually moves inches, but your only using the middle play of those inches. when that's connected, start the car and put it in drive with your foot off the brakes and gas, it will slowly move at regular idle and should shift 1-2 at 7-13 mph and 2-3 at 11-17 mph. at full throttle it should shift 1-2 at 30-40 and 2-3 at 60-70 this is if you have a regular gear set, say a 3:23. by lengthing the cable you set the shift speed higher, shortening sets it lower. don't drive with it disconnected, as there won't be enough throttle pressure, and you'll get slippage in the clutch packs. the brackets that i used actually give you pretty much the same travel as original, i don't think yours will. Gerry

-
Back