lokar shifter

-

EvanS

Reaction score
i am thinking about switching my column shifter, since its broken to a floor shifter. Has anyone installed a lokar shifter on an A-body? Any pictures? Any recommendations on which one to get? I have bucket seats, and need to figure out length and whether or not to get floor mount or trans mount. Thank you

like this??
autotrans-shifter-3-4angle.png

:BangHead: - look up - LOOK UP :lol:
I had a 57 chevy truck before and put one of these in. They have a reverse lockout to prevent that. It's a really nice shifter honestly. I just don't know how good it would look in a car. But that picture above is the one I was looking at. Just don't know which way best to mount or length of shifter.

:BangHead: - look up - LOOK UP :lol:

I saw it. :D
The one and ONLY way I would use a shifter like that is if it had a guide plate to keep a person from going straight into reverse or park.
It's be pretty easy to make one that the shifter had to be moved to the side to get around stops to keep that from happening.

I had a 57 chevy truck before and put one of these in. They have a reverse lockout to prevent that. It's a really nice shifter honestly. I just don't know how good it would look in a car. But that picture above is the one I was looking at. Just don't know which way best to mount or length of shifter.

Ah, ok.
Now that you mention it I see it looks like it has to be pulled to the left for the lockout.
My opinion is that it wouldn't look bad at all if it was cut down about half way.

Mounting to the trans like in the picture is pretty much always the best way to mount because the trans and body can move independently of each other throwing off the consistency of it's movement.

Those lokar shifters are the biggest POS shifter you could put in a car. No functionality at all. Be real careful if you don't just put it in drive and go. I had one in a pickup and a friend had one in his Model A hot rod.

Get your self a nice ratchet piece like PPP or the like. Actually the stock console shifter works really well for normal driving and for racing if you run a RPMVB.

There is one in a street rod I 'm working on it is a big POS shifter I had to modify it some so it would stay in drive, the only lock was for rev and you could bump it and go right into neutral from drive. This one has a beer tap handle and its heavy, looks cool but you could be cruising in drive mash the gas and the weight of it would just pull itself into 1st gear.

Those lokar shifters are the biggest POS shifter you could put in a car. No functionality at all. Be real careful if you don't just put it in drive and go. I had one in a pickup and a friend had one in his Model A hot rod.

Get your self a nice ratchet piece like PPP or the like. Actually the stock console shifter works really well for normal driving and for racing if you run a RPMVB.

I don't like the look of those. I was looking at hurst and B&M shifters. Any of those you guys recommend?

Actually just saw American Shift company. Are they any good. Look like lokar shifters.

Mine was column shift too. I can not say how it works On 727 but on this trans i have no complaints. It was cheaper for me to get this than an original setup from knob to trans. And console mounts. Since I was cutting the hump up anyhow I didn't have to cut the shifter hole in the factory spot. It is a trans mount not like the one in the Lokar shifter pictured in this post but mounts on the tail end.

Last edited:
I think I still have a catalogue mine is not posted on website. But I think they have one specifically for the 727. I bought a OEM setup and Lokar made one for my trans before I installed it. Sold it and bought the Lokar and had money left over.

Mine was column shift too. I can not say how it works On 727 but on this trans i have no complaints. It was cheaper for me to get this than an original setup from knob to trans. And console mounts. Since I was cutting the hump up anyhow I didn't have to cut the shifter hole in the factory spot. It is a trans mount not like the one in the Lokar shifter pictured in this post but mounts on the tail end.

I like that look! I'm stuck now with what to do...

-
Back