LOL!! EV range not only reduced in cold, ALSO reduced in HEAT!!

-
You're right I don't have numbers. Please show me yours.

What I am saying is that YOU have nothing to base this on, and IF YOU WERE to estimate the problem out to "let's say" an equal no. of gas/ vs evs on the road, I think you are gonna find that ev fires are one HELL of a lot more of a problem. When was the last time you read a news report of a gas vehicle blowing up for no reason, just sitting there parked? When was the last time you read about a gas vehicle that the fire crew had a tremendous difficulty putting out?

There's LOTS of stuff that can be outright dangerous and deadly if not properly controlled, from LPG to natural gas and on and on. But so far, what I AM NOT hearing from the gobt OR manufacturers, is some safety measures to control EV batteries.
Cars, Scooters and E-Bikes Catching Fire: Problem or Perception?

Here is a link about car fires. Let me warn you ahead time that this is probably fake news.

And I suggest you talk to firefighters. I have and the consensus is they would rather fight a regular car fire than an EV fire.
Fact: Regular ICE car fires are easier to put out. The firefighters I talked to said it normally takes only 300 - 900 gallons to put out a regular car fire. It took them 9,000+ gallons to put out a Nissan leaf that kept reigniting, and a Tesla took over 6000 gallons. There are some reports that it sometimes takes up 30,000 plus gallons!
Fact: EV fires are less common BUT takes up to 10+ times more effort to put out and are a lot more dangerous. I suggest you do some research on it.
Fact: EV fires can exceed 5000 degrees faranheit, gasoline burns an average of 1600-1900 °F, diesels range at 1700-2200 °F.
For reference an oxy-acetylene welding torch gets up to about 6000 °F, melting point of steel ranges 2370-2800°F.
And then you had GM to recall 68,667 Chevy Bolts that may or may not catch fire while parked. And even consumer reports even said to park the Bolt outdoors. Chevrolet Bolt EVs Should Be Parked Outdoors Due to Fire Risk, Government Agency Warns - Consumer Reports
VW had to recall over 100,000 plug in hybrids due to fire risks.
Hybrids are the worst because you have the worst of both worlds.
Firefighters have yet to find a way to put out EV fires effectively, some have developed ways to better fight it but are costly or not quite proven.
Then you have reports of EV's randomly, spontaneously combust inside peoples garages or even cargo containers in ship.
EV fires are more dangerous. Farmington Hills Fire Department hopes new equipment can help
Firefighters Still Aren't Sure How to Quickly Defeat EV Fires
Electric vehicle fires are rare, but challenging to extinguish
Mercedes EQE Loaner Car Burns Down Inside Florida Homeowner's Garage
A California couple's Tesla caught fire while charging overnight, ignited another Tesla next to it, and caused a massive house fire. They haven't been home in 8 months.

If my car catches fire I can likely put it out with a fire extinguisher before it spreads, If I had an EV (I'll never buy L-ion battery car) catch fire its pretty much a lost cause, a fire extinguisher won't do jack to it. (And yes I have a fire extinguisher in my car)

Wow, 2 paragraphs full of data... Not.
But let me make more factual changes to it:
"EVs are new and different, and their fires pose some many challenges for first responders, so some coverage makes sense; we ourselves cover unusual or noteworthy instances. But if electric vehicles are no more likely to catch fire than any other car on the road, the headline frequency can be misleading. In fact, the data says they account for a *tiny fraction of all car fires*." Note: they still represent a fraction of cars on the road."
More believe it or not info.

You’re Wrong About EV Fires

"EVs are new and different, and their fires pose some many challenges for first responders, so some coverage makes sense; we ourselves cover unusual or noteworthy instances. But if electric vehicles are no more likely to catch fire than any other car on the road, the headline frequency can be misleading. In fact, the data says they account for a *tiny fraction of all car fires*." Note: they still represent a fraction of cars on the road."
Statistics never lie, yet all liars use statistics,....

There was two paragraphs on the first page. Did you read the rest of the article?

There was two paragraphs on the first page. Did you read the rest of the article?

I just did now, but it don't matter I still stand by my comment that EV fires are still far more dangerous than a regular car fire. I've given you the data on it already and backed it up with science.
And I've already stated that ICE fires happen more often but are a lot easier to deal with, that's a fact.
Funny I've owned nothing but old cars and never had a problem with them catching fire, or any of them spontaneously combust in a garage like some EV's have already just from charging.
And no, it's far harder for a gasoline car to spontaneously ignite by itself while parked in garage. Gas needs to be heated to 500 °F to combust by itself, or have a spark source. And if you didn't notice the excessive tell-tale smell of gasoline fumes in your garage due to a large fuel leak or a puddle of gas under you're car and then do nothing about it, then sorry you're stupid.
My garage is right under our bedrooms, I'm not going to put my family at risk by having an EV charging under them. If by chance I have an EV (not gonna happen) that POS is staying outside away from the house.

Car people can’t even have a discussion about EVs without it turning to crap. EV is the blow up doll of the car culture. If you love it please keep it to your self.

Car people can’t even have a discussion about EVs without it turning to crap. EV is the blow up doll of the car culture. If you love it please keep it to your self.
LOL That's a great comparison. I gotta remember that one.

Did it ever occur to you that that "data" is flawed, and possibly for several reasons. One is the reason I mentioned, there is is simply way too many fuel powered vehicles vs EV to even form a comparison, and the other is POLITICS. We all "know" that politcians and business would NEVER skew statistics!!!

Did it ever occur to you that that "data" is flawed, and possibly for several reasons. One is the reason I mentioned, there is is simply way too many fuel powered vehicles vs EV to even form a comparison, and the other is POLITICS. We all "know" that politcians and business would NEVER skew statistics!!!
I did say "Believe it or not"

Maybe....
They could use the "per capita" type of statistic to fine tune it down to the gnat's ***...
Don't look at the percentages of EV versus gas fires, look at the amount of EVs on fire versus the amount sold and owned, then compare that to the same figures with gas and diesel cars.
If 1 in 100 EVs catch fire and 1 in 1000 gas/diesel cars burn, THERE is your evidence.

Maybe....
They could use the "per capita" type of statistic to fine tune it down to the gnat's ***...
Don't look at the percentages of EV versus gas fires, look at the amount of EVs on fire versus the amount sold and owned, then compare that to the same figures with gas and diesel cars.
If 1 in 100 EVs catch fire and 1 in 1000 gas/diesel cars burn, THERE is your evidence.
It wouldn't matter what the data showed if it doesn't agree with what people believe they will dismiss it.

Which is less likely to explode angry wife or blow up doll? It’s a trick question by the way

It wouldn't matter what the data showed if it doesn't agree with what people believe they will dismiss it.
If you are so keen on owning one, go right ahead. Also consider not bragging about it to people that are NOT at all interested in them.

My ICE cars don't spontaneously combust like EV's have.

100,000,000 ice cars vs what, 1,000,000 EVs in this country? No **** you'll have more ice cars that catch on fire, after an accident or shoddy repairs but generally when they are running!

But just using numbers, ice cars should be banned because of fires

Well, I'm going to go give a bunch of five year old kids some sparklers to play with, easily put out, when the magnesium has burned itself up!

If you are so keen on owning one, go right ahead. Also consider not bragging about it to people that are NOT at all interested in them.
I said that fires in both iCE and EV cars are dangerous. I don't see that as bragging. When the subject of EVs comes up often someone will add to the conversation that EV cars are dangerous because they catch fire. I agree with that statement. But so are ICE cars.
I love ICE cars. I have spent my entire adult life working on, racing and building ICE engines. But I'm not going to let my love for these engines blind me from the fact that gasoline is dangerous and can kill you. It would be nice if neither Ice or ev had the potential to catch fire but for now that doesn't seem to be the case.
Even if someone will agree that gasoline is dangerous the conversion quickly shifts to "which is more dangerous?". I don't know the answer to that and I suppose it depends on the criteria used to define dangerous. Is it going to be number of people killed? Injured? dollars worth of damage? which is harder to put out?
If it turns out that one is only slightly safer than the other does it really matter?
If you're not interested in EV vehicles so be it, but you are taking time to read and post in a thread that is about EV vehicles.
Since we both are on the subject of EV'S, I think your idea of comparing number of cars bought vs number of cars burned is a smart way to look at the data. If i understand you correctly it would go like this.
Xx,*** ev vehicles were purchased in the usa in 2022. Xx ev vehicles caught fire. Equaling a 1 in xxxx chance of a fire.
X,***,*** ice vehicles were purchased in the usa in 2022. X,*** vehicles caught fire. Equaling a 1 in *** chance of a fire.

Yes...If 100,000 EVs sold have 1000 fires, that is 1 in a hundred.
If 5 million gas/diesel cars sold have 1000 fires, that is 1 in 500,000.
I am BEYOND tired of people using the term ICE to describe gasoline cars. It always looks like someone trying to be trendy or thinking that they impress others. Screw all that. The overwhelming majority of them are GASOLINE powered, only a small percentage are diesel.

I said that fires in both iCE and EV cars are dangerous. I don't see that as bragging. When the subject of EVs comes up often someone will add to the conversation that EV cars are dangerous because they catch fire. I agree with that statement. But so are ICE cars.
I love ICE cars. I have spent my entire adult life working on, racing and building ICE engines. But I'm not going to let my love for these engines blind me from the fact that gasoline is dangerous and can kill you. It would be nice if neither Ice or ev had the potential to catch fire but for now that doesn't seem to be the case.
Even if someone will agree that gasoline is dangerous the conversion quickly shifts to "which is more dangerous?". I don't know the answer to that and I suppose it depends on the criteria used to define dangerous. Is it going to be number of people killed? Injured? dollars worth of damage? which is harder to put out?
If it turns out that one is only slightly safer than the other does it really matter?
If you're not interested in EV vehicles so be it, but you are taking time to read and post in a thread that is about EV vehicles.
Since we both are on the subject of EV'S, I think your idea of comparing number of cars bought vs number of cars burned is a smart way to look at the data. If i understand you correctly it would go like this.
Xx,*** ev vehicles were purchased in the usa in 2022. Xx ev vehicles caught fire. Equaling a 1 in xxxx chance of a fire.
X,***,*** ice vehicles were purchased in the usa in 2022. X,*** vehicles caught fire. Equaling a 1 in *** chance of a fire.
ICE cars don't spontaneously ignite, EVs do. That's the issue I'd be most concerned about, but I'll never own one because they do nothing for me.

Yes...If 100,000 EVs sold have 1000 fires, that is 1 in a hundred.
If 5 million gas/diesel cars sold have 1000 fires, that is 1 in 500,000.
I am BEYOND tired of people using the term ICE to describe gasoline cars. It always looks like someone trying to be trendy or thinking that they impress others. Screw all that. The overwhelming majority of them are GASOLINE powered, only a small percentage are diesel.
Sometimes you have to talk down to their level.

-
Back