LOL!! Unwanted "feature" of the little Farmall/ mini backhoe

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
The Farmall 100 (Super A) is about 2 steps up from a cub. Both have the engine offset, which means the "long side" axle gets less weight/ traction. Before I bought the little backhoe, I had had a flat on the short axle, and left the ballast/ brine out of the tire. But I also had an extra outboard side wheel --which is very heavy cast iron--and mounted that in the short side wheel for added weight. The "long" axle already wears a heavy cast wheel, and at the time had ballast/ brine, as well as two wheel weights.

I don't know what the cast wheel weighs but I cannot lift it. I get various answers on the wheel weights, from 125--140.

So I used to have the factory cast wheel + added cast wheel as a weight on the left, no brine

Tire on the right has a "light" stamped wheel, brine, and two weights.

Plus I had a tray on the back drawbar with 6 concrete piers from the HD/ Lowes 50--?60 lbs each?

SO I INSTALLED the backhoe, and thinking it was "really heavy," and having a flat on the ballasted tire this summer, I ended up with no wheel weights and no brine on the right / long side.

GUESS WHAT? With this mornings wet sloppy VERY heavy snow (only about 4") It spins like a *****, even with chains. I've extended the stick to the rear, and even experimented with the stick "hanging" towards the right / long side.

So now I'm gonna have to rassle the wheel weights back on, plus maybe reinstall the backhoe bucket "and maybe" throw a pier or two into the bucket!!

And about the cast vs lightweight wheels.......The factory put a lightweight stamped steel wheel on the short side, the heavy cast wheel on the long side. The extra heavy one I have is mounted like you would a wheel weight. I once tried to mount it on the short side, in place of the stamped wheel. IT TURNS OUT that IHC (Corn National Interbinder) made the center holes a few thousands different so you cannot switch the wheels!!! The center hole in the cast wheel is smaller than the lightweight side!!!

This is this summer, the flat tire. Kinda handy to have your own built in jack!!!

IMG_3577cs.JPG

Lol, hello unpleasant surprise. Pop's '52 Cub had tires that may well have been the originals on it, hard as bricks & 45° bars, bought Him a nice new pair with 23° bars. He almost uses it soley for clearing the snow now, they worked out great.

-
Back