Long crank before firing

-

anarchy0392

Reaction score
Okay I have a 73 Dart with 318 and it auto. I replaced the starter when I bought it it has been running fine since I got it running. But the last 3 days I'll go to start it and it will crank and crank and crank and some times still wont start unless I try cranking it a second or third time. Not sure where to start with this car as I'm used to hooking a computer into my car and seeing whats wrong.

you could have a weak fuel pump or one about to stop working
you could have an ignition box that's lost its edge
could be a misadjusted choke
could be a dirty fuel filter

these are things that "might" gradually get worse

my guess its either spark or fuel lol

just a couple thoughts

Spark seems to be fine I have still yet to get a shop manual for it. So where is the fuel pump and how do i test it?

I've checked all the plugs they all look good. None a fouled, discoloured, or burnt. But It could be my ignition box some of the goo had melted out of it from back when the previous owner had it sitting for over a year. If it is my ignition box is there a good one to replace to give a little bump in performance?

Had the same problem with mine, turned out it was the pickup to reluctor gap it was much wider than the .008 it should be.

Spark seems to be fine............... It could be my ignition box some of the goo had melted out of it from back ...........

How exactly have you checked the spark. I ask because the bypass circuit is "in the key." If the bypass circuit, example, has a problem, and you check the spark "under the hood" by jumpering across the starter relay, you have not checked it under actual cranking conditions.

I have still yet to get a shop manual for it.

You can download a free one here in the tail end of this thread

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1970088617

More stuff here

http://mymopar.com/index.php

It think its my ignition box I went out there and from me cleaning up most of that goo i forgot to tighten the bolts down. So I pulled the 2 bolts out took some sand paper to the bolts to clean some rust off of them and the body. Made sure they were nice and tight and holding the ignition box to the body. So i got in and with out touching the gas or anything else it turned right over in about 1 second. If that really was all cause I unmounted the box to clean the goo up that was so dumb of me. -_-

It think its my ignition box I went out there and from me cleaning up most of that goo i forgot to tighten the bolts down. So I pulled the 2 bolts out took some sand paper to the bolts to clean some rust off of them and the body. Made sure they were nice and tight-

Very good. They MUST be grounded

Make sure it's bypassing the ballast resistor on the start 2 or cranking position and getting a full 12v to the ignition when cranking.

Had the same problem with mine, turned out it was the pickup to reluctor gap it was much wider than the .008 it should be.

This ^^^^^^^ is a good one!

Not enough initial timing

No power in ign 2. (hot wire it and see if it starts)

Ground may not be the issue if it eventually starts.

Well, all day had no problem with starting at all. Has cranked over faster than my 02 ford focus. Thanks for all your help and the thought to jog my memory about the box.

-
Back