Long drive for nothing

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Took a long drive almost out to Dragway 42 in Ohio to check out a Black n Decker valve grinder. It had a collet Chuck like I’m looking for as my old ball Chuck Souix machine has to much runout. I plan on converting it to a collet setup but some parts are going to have to be made and I have to be able to cut valves. Well this one was missing the wheel dresser, fluid wasn’t pumping, and the runout was worse than mine. It was priced high to start with at 900.00 but I would go that high on a class A machine. So I went 270 miles round trip for nothing. Ran into summit for 10 minutes since I went right by it. So I’m still on the hunt.

IMG_2580.jpeg

IMG_2582.jpeg

IMG_2585.jpeg

IMG_2584.jpeg

IMG_2583.jpeg

IMG_2586.jpeg

IMG_2567.jpeg

IMG_2349.jpeg

IMG_2348.jpeg

IMG_2347.jpeg

That's a bummer, but at least you did not spend 900 plus shipping to find that out.

It's getting near impossible to find old surplus engine machining equipment that hasn't been rode hard. Good luck with the hunt!

This guy drained and stored this machine 10 years ago and used to operate it. So at least this guy knows something about it’s history. The last machine belonged to his uncle that I went to see the other day. He thanked me for teaching him how it operates.

Very worthwhile 240 mile trip today. 150.00 cheaper than the one I looked at last week, everything is here for it, cleaner, and under .001 runout.

IMG_2611.jpeg

IMG_2612.jpeg

IMG_2613.jpeg

That machine has little use by the looks of it , lucky find . I know for beauty just 1 min up the road from me but they won't sell it and don't use it i have been asking for 25 years now .

Boy does this sucker cut nice. Placed an order with Beam Equipment for a manual, two new belts, and a white stone he recommended for stainless. I asked him about fluid and he said if I didn’t want to buy a gallon of theirs go ahead and use type F transmission fluid.

Very worthwhile 240 mile trip today. 150.00 cheaper than the one I looked at last week, everything is here for it, cleaner, and under .001 runout.

View attachment 1716240214

View attachment 1716240215

View attachment 1716240216

Those are good grinders. I used one for a couple of years and then we upgraded to a KO Lee.

I think that’s because that grinder wouldn’t swing all the way to 56-56.5 degrees.

Now that I typed that I’m not sure that was why we upgraded.

I know it had something to do with 55 degree seats and 2.400 valves maybe.

That was 24 years ago.

Those are good grinders. I used one for a couple of years and then we upgraded to a KO Lee.

I think that’s because that grinder wouldn’t swing all the way to 56-56.5 degrees.

Now that I typed that I’m not sure that was why we upgraded.

I know it had something to do with 55 degree seats and 2.400 valves maybe.

That was 24 years ago.

That won’t effect me. Lol. Screw that 55 degree seat.

Boy does this sucker cut nice. Placed an order with Beam Equipment for a manual, two new belts, and a white stone he recommended for stainless. I asked him about fluid and he said if I didn’t want to buy a gallon of theirs go ahead and use type F transmission fluid.

I had to Laugh during this discussion about transmission fluid. I asked him first about using it and he said the only reason against it is he hates the smell of type F transmission fluid. I had gotten away from using it when type F got hard to get for some reason. Well I was fighting a transmission issue and the Dextron 3 I switched to stunk like burnt transmission fluid so I switched back to type F. I use a boatload of it since I use it for porting, honing and cleaning cylinder bores, and I even put it in transmissions.

I had to Laugh during this discussion about transmission fluid. I asked him first about using it and he said the only reason against it is he hates the smell of type F transmission fluid. I had gotten away from using it when type F got hard to get for some reason. Well I was fighting a transmission issue and the Dextron 3 I switched to stunk like burnt transmission fluid so I switched back to type F. I use a boatload of it since I use it for porting, honing and cleaning cylinder bores, and I even put it in transmissions.

I started using a water based fluid made in Canada. I can’t think of the name of it any more but it gave a mirror finish and no heat, even doing back cuts or converting 45 seats to 50’s.

Also made grinding Ti valves much much nicer.

In Community Collage we used cheap Tractor Fluid for the same Black & Decker machine. Instructor was a FORD machnic during summer time and said that when Type F was hard to find they used Tractor Fluid in the C4's and power steering......

In Community Collage we used cheap Tractor Fluid for the same Black & Decker machine. Instructor was a FORD machnic during summer time and said that when Type F was hard to find they used Tractor Fluid in the C4's and power steering......
Did You see the '303' Tractor Fluid class action lawsuit??

Took a long drive almost out to Dragway 42 in Ohio to check out a Black n Decker valve grinder. It had a collet Chuck like I’m looking for as my old ball Chuck Souix machine has to much runout. I plan on converting it to a collet setup but some parts are going to have to be made and I have to be able to cut valves. Well this one was missing the wheel dresser, fluid wasn’t pumping, and the runout was worse than mine. It was priced high to start with at 900.00 but I would go that high on a class A machine. So I went 270 miles round trip for nothing. Ran into summit for 10 minutes since I went right by it. So I’m still on the hunt.

View attachment 1716239323

View attachment 1716239324

View attachment 1716239325

View attachment 1716239326

View attachment 1716239327

View attachment 1716239328

View attachment 1716239329

View attachment 1716239330

View attachment 1716239331

View attachment 1716239332
I feel your pain. I drove 325 miles to look at a 64' Dart, that looked pretty good in the photos. Within 5 seconds of seeing it, I realized ALL the photos were from angles that didn't show how badly it was rusted. Not only that, but there was also damage done to the rear-end after the photos were taken. The car was a wreck!

I feel your pain. I drove 325 miles to look at a 64' Dart, that looked pretty good in the photos. Within 5 seconds of seeing it, I realized ALL the photos were from angles that didn't show how badly it was rusted. Not only that, but there was also damage done to the rear-end after the photos were taken. The car was a wreck!

That really stinks. The excitement of possible getting a new car and coming home with an empty trailer

-
Back