long time reader x drag racer retired truck mechanic, i need advice please

-

justme

Reaction score
i want to put ps in my 66 /6 valiant and i need advice on what box and pump to use, suggestions please

Factory stuff should work... they has PS in '66 on an A body, correct?

If not most any b-body steering box will work and a pump from a slant six should bolt right on... all A and B body boxes are interchangeable. Not sure about the pitman arms... somebody should be able to help on this...

A late model p/s gear with the larger spline shaft on the bottom wont work unless you can find a special made pitman arm in the aftermarket. Easiest boneyard check is the nut that holds the pitman arm on. If you need a 1&5/16 socket, that's the wrong/larger shaft that requires a pitman arm that wont attach to your center link. Chrysler never made the adapting pitman arm but the aftermarket just might.
Next is the box coupling and steering shaft length, those are different for power steering. If a 66 has a collapsible shaft you could break the sheer pins to shorten your shaft the req'd 3 inches ( a lot of owners have done just that ). You would still need the box coupling that fits onto a p/s box.
One more thing,, There was a issue with the 3 steering gear mounting nuts welded/hidden inside, on the early K members. Appeared in both manual and power steering examples, just more common in power steering. Chrysler funded the development of Locktite and had special bolts made for a few years, all due to this issue. Apparently they did finally figure it out, a better weld and without warping that pad. Bottom line... Make sure that pad on your K is flat as possible, locktite the 3 bolts or not. Those special bolts are offered up here from time to time. Worth the coins in my opinion.

Last edited:
A late model p/s gear with the larger spline shaft on the bottom wont work unless you can find a special made pitman arm in the aftermarket. Easiest boneyard check is the nut that holds the pitman arm on. If you need a 1&5/16 socket, that's the wrong/larger shaft that requires a pitman arm that wont attach to your center link. Chrysler never made the adapting pitman arm but the aftermarket just might.
Next is the box coupling and steering shaft length, those are different for power steering. If a 66 has a collapsible shaft you could break the sheer pins to shorten your shaft the req'd 3 inches ( a lot of owners have done just that ). You would still need the box coupling that fits onto a p/s box.
One more thing,, There was a issue with the 3 steering gear mounting nuts welded/hidden inside, on the early K members. Appeared in both manual and power steering examples, just more common in power steering. Chrysler funded the development of Locktite and had special bolts made for a few years, all due to this issue. Apparently they did finally figure it out, a better weld and without warping that pad. Bottom line... Make sure that pad on your K is flat as possible, locktite the 3 bolts or not. Those special bolts are offered up here from time to time. Worth the coins in my opinion.
Thank you for the info!!

-
Back