Longer Bleeder Fittings and Tighter Tubing

-

mydart270

myDart270
Reaction score
Hi and Hello:

Almost done with my brakes. Here are my questions:

Can I buy longer bleeder fittings ? I need 1/4 in and 5/16 in bleeder screws that are "longer" so I can obtain a better (tighter) hose connection when I bleed the brakes. Car has OEM 1/4 in (REAR) and 5/16 in (FRONT) (I am using a brake bleeder wrench so may be in error here w/ sizes, wrench fits nicely over existing bleeder screws FRONT and REAR). There must be longer screws...right??? Pitch should be SAE 24 right??

LBNL,, what size hose can I use for a tight connection on Front and Rear bleeder screws??. I have a 'sloppy" arrangement of vinyl hose connections (VOLVO vacuum hoses fit best) that are interconnected, become loose, can't create vacuum, etc, etc, etc. Its a messy job to bleed brakes for me. Off to a craft store today for plastic (rigid) tubing and various sizes.

Thx MOPAR guys and gals...your input always appreciated for recommendations and comments.

Happy MOPAR....stay safe and stay healthy.

Threads dont seal. So i put a nut on bleeder. Then an o-ring. Snug it up and bleed brake. Then remove nut and o-ring and one final bleed. i have little faith in vacuum bleeding.

Pressure bleeding or gravity bleeding are my preferred methods.

Threads dont seal. So i put a nut on bleeder. Then an o-ring. Snug it up and bleed brake. Then remove nut and o-ring and one final bleed. i have little faith in vacuum bleeding.

UAR.....the more I get into this the more confusing it becomes for me......I am a B grade shade tree mechanic. Old school mechanics down the road from me prefer your method.

SAE 24 thread right? Will try that today

I put thread tape on the treads to keep it from sucking air but I like the nut and o-ring. I will have to try it.

I put thread tape on the treads to keep it from sucking air but I like the nut and o-ring. I will have to try it.
Only thing is you can’t close bleeder, but if the objective is to pull vacuum through air tight connections then this works well.

PRESSURE for me as well. POSITIVE pressure helps keep system from sucking in any air

Can I buy longer bleeder fittings ? I need 1/4 in and 5/16 in bleeder screws that are "longer" so I can obtain a better (tighter) hose connection when I bleed the brakes. .

Can you braze/ silver solder/ weld? Obtain a couple of extra bleeders, and use your head. Cut/ drill modify, braze/ solder a fitting to the bleeder. Brass hose barb, a length of brake tube to act as a connection.

The O ring sounds like a good idea

Also (I've never used them but they are in my mind) there are "self bleeders" which have check valves. You screw them in and they only allow fluid "out"

I made a check valve one time that fit on the brake line in the back that would not gravity bleed. Just pump the brake pedal till the fluid squirted out connected the line back up and finished bleeding. It worked great.

-
Back