Longer coupler??

-

mopar56

Reaction score
My son replaced his steering box and switched from power to manual and used a adapter on the stub of the box to the shaft, we didn't like the slop in the shaft where it came out of the steering column so we ordered and installed a bearing in the end of the column, ( see previous post here, " bushing or not " ) BTW this is a 70 Duster 4 spd car, the problem now is the distance between the adapter and factory coupler on the end of the steering column shaft is a bit short, and we can not just lengthen the shaft by sliding it apart because the taper at the end of the shaft would not allow the bearing we installed to sit in the end of the column ( it would be pushed out) sooòoo...my question is do they make different lengths of couplers? It wouldn't need to be that much longer maybe 1/2 to 3/4 inch? Anyone run in to this before?

Is it poss to loosen the collar on the floor, and maybe at the
Plastic slides, and move whole column down ?

No because the bearing would slide down to and no longer be seated in the column because the shaft diameter above the bearing on the shaft is larger than what goes though the bearing, I need a longer coupler.

Lol, I cant see what your looking at, but I just looked at a unit here.
The whole thing as a unit, coupler, outer and inner tube, inner/outer tube, steering wheel, should all move together, - no?
I gotta get my crystal ball back from the pawn shop, $30, sheesh
I'm sure others may have more insight, lol

As mentioned earlier there is another thread here " bushing or not" all my photos are there but I posted one here to, yes all those components move as one except the inner shafts are actually two d shafts that slide into each other, IF I slide the lower shaft down the bearing will come with it therefore offering no support so the only solution I see here is a longer coupler IF one is made? Hopefully that is a better explanation.

Screenshot_20230729_200143_Gallery.jpg

-
Back