Lookin for Inspiration - Gasser 67 Valiant

-

dustymopar

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 67 Valiant 100 on its way (I hope!) and lookin for inspiration....

Want to go Old Skool Gasser with this - has anyone any pics of a similar machine for inspiration?

TIA

Seems a little young for a straight axle car.

No Gasser,but my 66 Dart has been minitubbed,3 inch spring relocation,front disc brake swap,8 3/4 with 3.91 s.g narrowed with Strange axels,410c.i,904 built for racing with a Coan 8 inch 4500 stall.Also 8 pt. cage.I was going to go the Gasser Altered look,but decided against it for handling purposes.Couple pics of my 66 Dart.
car pics 66 Dart 181.jpg
car pics 66 Dart 182.jpg
car pics 66 Dart 189.jpg
car pics 66 Dart 190.jpg

car pics 66 Dart 181.jpg

car pics 66 Dart 182.jpg

car pics 66 Dart 189.jpg

car pics 66 Dart 190.jpg

Here is my '64 Valiant... It is a V8 auto, bucket seat, power steering car...I almost hated to cut it up...almost! It's still a work in progress.

New2020102000222.jpg

New2020102000112.jpg

It has Super Stock springs, a '57 Ford 9-inch, a Speedway 4-inch dropped straight axle kit...It's getting a 360/727.

Here is my buddy's '64...

BilletProof10-25-2009043.jpg

Narrowed 9-inch, 340/727, Speedway 4-inch dropped straight axle kit, mini-tubbed. He has altered the wheelbase since these pics, moved the rear up like 10 or so inches, the front a couple, repainted it...I think...grey, and added 2-4bbls.

Sorry, the PC has been giving a bit of trouble in the last week or so

Thanks for the input everyone - goood luck with those project cars8)

Hey DV8, you got a pretty cool project there!! Have you connected it up to the steering box yet? Looks like the 4" dropped axle is about right. Can you give us some more pics of the axle installation? Also how about some current pics of your buddys car.

Thanks,
Mike

Thanks Mike!

The drag link is connected to the box (I had a power box, but converted to manual), but with the dropped axle, it is going to bottom out on other suspension parts. The 4" does look right when finished...much more streetable...but a non-dropped axle would have been easier with the stock pitman arm.

It's at my buddy's shop, and it's stalled until my oil pan comes in, but we are going to try to get around the clearance problem and stick with the dropped axle.

When we get further along on the project, I'll do a whole build thread with some good pics.

I probably won't get to see my other buddy's Valiant until the Billetproof Drags in October, unless I catch him at a test and tune night...He lives a good ways up state from me, I just see him at shows and swapmeets all the time. I'll be sure to get some good pics of it though.

-Jon

Are you going to a rear sump or does the pan have to be custom made?

Thanks,
Mike

No, it has a rear sump...it's from a truck. I ordered a Milodon street/strip, center sump but I guess it was back ordered.

We trimmed the K-member here and there to get the spring mounts as far back as possible, so everything to do with the engine mounting will be in the stock location, I just wanted a deeper pan, and needed the car pan instead of truck.

I'll get some detail shots when I get back to my buddy's shop.

DV8 -

Which oil pan works best with your axle set up?

Rear or middle sump?

Thanks,
Mike

Middle...The rear sump will obstruct the steering draglink.

I ordered one from Summit. Maybe it will show up!

DV8, Did you mount the spring shackles direct to the original chassis rails - I was planning to do this.

After having a quick search on the net, I am seeing that guys are replacing their chassis rails with box steel....

Here is my '64 Valiant... It is a V8 auto, bucket seat, power steering car...I almost hated to cut it up...almost! It's still a work in progress.

New2020102000222.jpg

New2020102000112.jpg

It has Super Stock springs, a '57 Ford 9-inch, a Speedway 4-inch dropped straight axle kit...It's getting a 360/727.

Here is my buddy's '64...

BilletProof10-25-2009043.jpg

Narrowed 9-inch, 340/727, Speedway 4-inch dropped straight axle kit, mini-tubbed. He has altered the wheelbase since these pics, moved the rear up like 10 or so inches, the front a couple, repainted it...I think...grey, and added 2-4bbls.

Now that's pretty much it, just needs an injected Hemi.

DV8, Did you mount the spring shackles direct to the original chassis rails - I was planning to do this.

After having a quick search on the net, I am seeing that guys are replacing their chassis rails with box steel....

The spring mounts in the front, and the shackles on the back of the springs (in the firewall area) are mounted directly to the stock chassis rails.

My buddy trimmed the K-member a little to slide them back as far as possible so as to center the wheels in the wheelwell as much as possible.

The frame rails are pretty straight, and there was no need to make a rectangle, steel frame stub. I guess if you were putting a big block in there, it might would make life a little easier with a frame stub, but you would have to do a lot of work to line up all the front sheetmetal again... unless you welded it all together and made a tilt, front end out of it.

I should get over to his shop this week...I'll charge up the battery in the camera, and get some detail shots...It's all just tacked together right now while we work out the steering.

Now that's pretty much it, just needs an injected Hemi.

I think that stance is about right for a street/strip car. If I had an injected Hemi, it would be going in mine...My two Hemi's are a little old for that car :) plus they are allready occupied!

-
Back