Looking at 17" wheels for my 74 swinger

-

swinger74

Reaction score
Hello, im trying to figure out so wheels for my 74 swinger and am having problems finding a definitive answer on what i can run. The car will be stock springs, an a body 8 3/4 rear, and stock wheel wells. I am looking at these wheels. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mbw-23189/media/images

any idea on backspacing and tire size? would like to run something wider in the back if possible.

Thanks
Ryan

With stock suspension, 17x8 with a 4.5" backspace is about as big as you can go for the rim. 245 or maybe 255 on the tire. Not much room in the back on a stock Dart.

I tried a set of 17x9's with 5" backspace and 275/40/17's on the back of my '71 Dart, the wheel hit the springs and quarters at the same time. With a 1/2" hanger offset and a trim on the quarter lip they'd fit, but you'd have to do that.

Only other way to fit bigger would be to jack up the back end and let the wheels hang out. :puke:

72blu, thanks for the reply. I am not looking at triming anything from the body. but i am not opposed to using any offsets. I still need to figure out what leaf springs i need to run as well.

Not really apples to apples, but a 275/40/17 will fit in a Duster rear tub! I used a 17x9, with 5" backspace. We built the rearend to make the wheels fit... Meaning with really good measuring you could get a wheel with the right offset and backspace to make it work. Although I have been told that the scamp/swinger bodies font have as big a tub. For what it is worth.

71dusterdan, thats what i've heard. Ive seen alot of examples for dusters/dart-demons but the rear tubs/wheel openings are different than the Swingers

Will 17x8 wheels fit on the front with a 245/40-17?
Same backspacing?

Yes, they should fit, although 4.5" is about the least amount of backspacing you can get away with. I'd run more, even with 17's you should have enough clearance on the tie rod end to run more backspace, and that will get you away from the fender. Depending on the car and the design of the rim, around the 5.72" backspace mark is where you start having to pay attention to tie rod clearance. With a 17x8 and a 245/40/17 or 245/45/17 I'd probably want between 5" and 5.5" of backspace to be safe. Less means you'll have to watch the fender clearance, more will mean you'll have to watch the tie rod ends.

Not really apples to apples, but a 275/40/17 will fit in a Duster rear tub! I used a 17x9, with 5" backspace. We built the rearend to make the wheels fit... Meaning with really good measuring you could get a wheel with the right offset and backspace to make it work. Although I have been told that the scamp/swinger bodies font have as big a tub. For what it is worth.

Yeah I did a test fit on my '74 Duster with a 17x9" with 5" of backspace and a 275/40/17. I needed a 1/4" spacer to make it work, but that was all it took. Plenty of room. Dart's are a whole different ball game, smaller wheel tubs for sure. You need the 1/2" hanger and shackle offset kit to fit 275's and 17's of bigger on the back of Dart. I physically wedged the same 17x9's and 275/40/17's on the back of my '71 Dart, but as I mentioned already, it hit both the quarters and the springs. I got the wheel in place, but you'd never be able to drive it.

i had 18X8" wheels on my 67 dart and the front wheel was sticking too far out. i now have 17x7" front wheels with 4 3/4" bs and they fit perfect.

DSCI0495.jpg

DSCI0492.jpg

Yes, they should fit, although 4.5" is about the least amount of backspacing you can get away with. I'd run more, even with 17's you should have enough clearance on the tie rod end to run more backspace, and that will get you away from the fender. Depending on the car and the design of the rim, around the 5.72" backspace mark is where you start having to pay attention to tie rod clearance. With a 17x8 and a 245/40/17 or 245/45/17 I'd probably want between 5" and 5.5" of backspace to be safe. Less means you'll have to watch the fender clearance, more will mean you'll have to watch the tie rod ends.

Yeah I did a test fit on my '74 Duster with a 17x9" with 5" of backspace and a 275/40/17. I needed a 1/4" spacer to make it work, but that was all it took. Plenty of room. Dart's are a whole different ball game, smaller wheel tubs for sure. You need the 1/2" hanger and shackle offset kit to fit 275's and 17's of bigger on the back of Dart. I physically wedged the same 17x9's and 275/40/17's on the back of my '71 Dart, but as I mentioned already, it hit both the quarters and the springs. I got the wheel in place, but you'd never be able to drive it.

Thanks for the response. I'd like to run 4 wheels with the same back spacing though to allow me to rotate the tires, at least front to back.
Perhaps this can be done @ 4-3/4" back spacing.
Or will this bring the tire too close to the rear leaf springs?

Thanks for the response. I'd like to run 4 wheels with the same back spacing though to allow me to rotate the tires, at least front to back.
Perhaps this can be done @ 4-3/4" back spacing.
Or will this bring the tire too close to the rear leaf springs?

17x8's with 4.75" backspace should work all the way around. Any more backspace than that and you'll start having issues in the rear. Should be able to run 245/45/17's all the way around with those if rotating the tires is your goal.

You can also get small hubcentric spacers if they get close to the springs in the back as long as you check your lug nut thread engagement in the back.

72blunblu, so what would be an "ideal" setup running 17's? im not to worried about rotating tires around. Would like wider tires in the rear. any recomendations on springs? Would like to have a decent handling car at the end of the day

17x8's with 4.75" backspace should work all the way around. Any more backspace than that and you'll start having issues in the rear. Should be able to run 245/45/17's all the way around with those if rotating the tires is your goal.

You can also get small hubcentric spacers if they get close to the springs in the back as long as you check your lug nut thread engagement in the back.

with the 17x8 and 4.75 bs on the front your going to be rubbing. especially with a 245/45/17. it will rub the front corner of the fender upon turning and will be very close if not rubbing on the top of the wheel arch on front fender. trust me i had the exact combo on my car. i sold the entire wheel set and started over with what i have now. you can run a 245/45/17 on a 17x7 wheel all the way around no prob.

with the 17x8 and 4.75 bs on the front your going to be rubbing. especially with a 245/45/17. it will rub the front corner of the fender upon turning and will be very close if not rubbing on the top of the wheel arch on front fender. trust me i had the exact combo on my car. i sold the entire wheel set and started over with what i have now. you can run a 245/45/17 on a 17x7 wheel all the way around no prob.

I'd like to hear about your new set up too, and what your suspension/brakes consits of as I'm loking into options for my 69'. Seem 15" tires are becoming hard to find unlees you want H speed ratings or drag tires.

I'd like to hear about your new set up too, and what your suspension/brakes consits of as I'm loking into options for my 69'. Seem 15" tires are becoming hard to find unlees you want H speed ratings or drag tires.

My car is now mini tubbed and springs moved in. I have factory width a- body rear. Rear wheels are 17x11 with 7" bs. Tires are 345/45/17. Fronts are 17x7 with 4 3/4" bs and 215/55/17.

My car is now mini tubbed and springs moved in. I have factory width a- body rear. Rear wheels are 17x11 with 7" bs. Tires are 345/45/17. Fronts are 17x7 with 4 3/4" bs and 215/55/17.

Do you have stock LBP front discs? The front is where I seem to be having issues. How well does your front combo clear the the tie rods?

Basically my front setup is stock with 73 and later spindles and the larger 11-3/4" rotors/caliper brackets.

Do you have stock LBP front discs? The front is where I seem to be having issues. How well does your front combo clear the the tie rods?

Basically my front setup is stock with 73 and later spindles and the larger 11-3/4" rotors/caliper brackets.

that is exactly what i have on my car except i am running the wilwood calipers on the 11 3/4" rotor. i am a mile from the tie rods. every thing clears lock to lock. the only clearance issue i have is that tire will actually hit the top of the inner fender when the suspension is bottomed out. i dont have any bump stops in yet but when i get them they will fix that prob. my front tires are 26 1/2" tall. i like the look of a big tire filling the wheel well.

that is exactly what i have on my car except i am running the wilwood calipers on the 11 3/4" rotor. i am a mile from the tie rods. every thing clears lock to lock. the only clearance issue i have is that tire will actually hit the top of the inner fender when the suspension is bottomed out. i dont have any bump stops in yet but when i get them they will fix that prob. my front tires are 26 1/2" tall. i like the look of a big tire filling the wheel well.

Cool, thanks for the info. I was going to run a bit smaller in Diameter tire. I'm not dropping the car very low suspension wise. Was thinking a 215-50-17 for the front.

Cool, thanks for the info. I was going to run a bit smaller in Diameter tire. I'm not dropping the car very low suspension wise. Was thinking a 215-50-17 for the front.

i had that same tire on the front with these rims ahd they were too low profile for me. i like the big wheels but i still wanted a bit of side wall. that i think looks better.

-
Back