Looking at a 71' Demon

-
Joe,
Good luck on the new ride! If your looking for a roof- i have a roof from a 72 Demon that I cut up over the summer. You find a way to get it- you can have it! No vinyl top no rust. I'll be at the Portland Swap meet this April if you have any buddies coming to the show.
Pm me if your interested. I have a hood also.
Mike

Thanks Darin, I may definitely need some donar parts can you pm me your number? For sure a hood, and rear bench seat, depending on how original I go I may replace the roof.
Right now it has an aftermarket sunroof. Looks in good shape though, I would say it was done professionally.

Cheers,

Joe

wow, i got your PM, and it does need some serious work, but with time and patience, you can make it work

also, are you sure its a 71 and NOT a 72? my understanding is all 71 340 demons came with a rally dash, aswell, they didnt come factory with sunroofs, im not sure if you could order them from the factory in 71 but i think u could in 72

wow, i got your PM, and it does need some serious work, but with time and patience, you can make it work

also, are you sure its a 71 and NOT a 72? my understanding is all 71 340 demons came with a rally dash, aswell, they didnt come factory with sunroofs, im not sure if you could order them from the factory in 71 but i think u could in 72

Your right about it being a 72' The guy selling was mistaken. He said 71' in his ad but when I kept looking up pics of the 71' I noticed that the front grill was different than his. So it's a 72' after all. I have one fender tag but it had 2 originally, no build sheet either. I did decode the first tag and came up with this:

LM29:
Dodge Dart,Demon
Medium
2 Door Sports Hardtop
H2B: 340 240HP(net) 1-4BBL 8 CYL
Dodge Main, Hamtramck, MI, USA
464627: Sequence number
E55: 340 cid 4 barrel V8 275hp
D34: Light Duty Automatic Transmission
EV2: Hemi Orange Exterior Color
F6XW: Trim - Luxury, Vinyl Bucket Seats, Black/White
TX9: Black Diamond Int. Door Frames
602: Build Date: June 02
C35507: Order number
EV2: Hemi Orange Top Color
C: Canada Specifications
A88: Interior Decor Group
B51: Power Brakes
C16: Console w/Woodgrain Panel
C56: Bucket Seats
G37: OS Dual Racing Mirrors
H31: Rear Window Defogger
J25: 3 Speed Wipers
J52: Inside Hood Release
J54: Sport Hood
L25: Trunk Lamp
L31: Hood/Fender Mounted Turn Signals
M21: Roof drip rail moldings
M25: Wide sill moldings
M31: Belt Moldings
M43: Grille Trim Moldings
N23: Electronic Ignition System
N41: Dual Exhaust
N42: Chrome Exhaust Tips
R11: Radio Solid State AM (2 Watts)
V21: Performance Hood Treatment
CTD: Codes Continued on 2nd Fender Tag

Take a look at AMD 1/4 skins from www.521restorations.com (they have a pricing on the website and give a discount to moparts and fabo memebers)

I just bought a set for one of my Demon's and they weren't too bad. I've bought all of my AMD sheetmetal through them. And Yes it fits very nice.

Full 1/4's are only needed if you are replacing all the way up to the roof line. Otherwise the 1/4 skins will work for what you described.
DO YOU HAVE TO ASK SPECIFICALLY FOR AMD?.....i looked at the site no brand was mentioned..

A two tag A body is pretty rare. Have you checked behind/on top of the glove box for the build sheet? It sounds like a car worth restoring. Late build car too. With a car colored and optioned like that you might get lucky and find some of the missing parts. Post pics please!

A two tag A body is pretty rare. Have you checked behind/on top of the glove box for the build sheet? It sounds like a car worth restoring. Late build car too. With a car colored and optioned like that you might get lucky and find some of the missing parts. Post pics please!

Its not much to look at, been sitting for about ten years outside up here in the great white north. Missing motor,transmission, hood and rear bench. I plan to keep original color in and out, but I may need to leave the sunroof as there would be too much distortion if I weld that much up on the roof. Also I will be putting a rebuilt 440/727TF 2500stall, with 10:1 compression in it. have all the interior but it is out of the car. here is a link to the pics. Needs full rear quarters, rockers, patches on the floor, trunk extensions, front inner fenders, and one dr side door pillar on the bottom. May look for a donar car for some parts.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110431076004609395481/20120129?authkey=Gv1sRgCPKihpWGmuaRhAE#

Any advice on what kind of upgrades I'll need to do with the suspension for the 440 would be great. Thanks,

Joe

I did look there, i found deteriorated paper pieces under the front bucket. that was probably the build sheet I'm guessing. I sure wish I had that second tag though. The VIN won't tell me anything would it??

Well I've been patiently waiting and I think it has paid off, Not only did I find a date correct 340 block that checked out with the machine shop, I've also located another 72' 340 Demon that's not in as bad shape as mine. I will be picking it up on the weekend and posting pictures asap. This one has been stored inside for the past 10 years so thats a good thing. Apparently it needs minimal sheet metal and doesn't have a big hole cut in the roof. He says that the rockers are solid, floor and trunk is solid and the only holes in the body are in one rear fender behind the wheel and someone at one point cut holes into the inner fenders to install a big block into it. Side and rear windows are tinted and stored, Door glass is intact and just front windshield is gone. It has been dissasembled so its a box car but has what I'm missing such as the sport hood with dual scoops and rear bench seat.

I'm picking this one up at a bargain too $1000, so that makes up for what I paid for the first one. What I'm thinking I'm going to do is rebody the first Demon to the second Demon as the second one is missing fender tags and build sheet. Also it was a column shift. Mine also had some good options as well such as console, and front disk brakes.

Will be posting pics of the "new" Demon hopefully on the weekend.

Cheers,

Joe

So I guess I used the wrong terminology when I said I was going to Re-body the first car onto the second as I found out that is illegal. What I'm going to do because I don't have a matching numbers engine is basically put the better options on the Column 340 Demon. Just for clarification.

Cheers

-
Back