Looking at a '72 Valiant...what do these cars weigh, or what does your combo weigh?

-

LXguy

Reaction score
Hey All

Found a solid but slightly overpriced valiant. Its a slant 6 car, bench seat, automatic, etc.

Was thinking of using it as a performance buildup, but curious what they end up weighing when all is said and done. I was always really surprised at how heavy my all metal, all glass iron headed dart weighed - 3200-3400.

If you've got one of these, and you know what yours weighs - I would love to hear about it and your combination.

I know what the "shipping weights" for these were and they are ridiculously optimistic in my experience.

Thanks!

Steve

My 69 Valiant 2 Dr Post with a alum rad, 408 stroker, alum heads, 3" exh , Discs on Front, 11" X 3" drums on rear, SS springs, Draglite wheels, 255/60-15 & 205/75-15 tires, 36RH Trans, 8-3/4 posi, all seats in -- weighed 3,240 lbs. in street trim.

Attachments

• DSCN1230 (2).jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 347
mine weighs 3024 w/o driver - fiberglass hood and deck lid, aluminum radiator, 360 w/aluminum heads, 727, Ford 9". No inner fenders, aluminum trunk floor, full roll cage, all glass is OEM..

Attachments

• 100_3501a.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 313
my 68 valiant w steel wheels 8 3/4 4 speed, full of fuel with bench seat and full interior weighed 3140.

For comparison, my Duster weighs 3,060 with a full tank of gas and no driver. All steel, full interior, iron headed small block. The back glass on the Valiant/Dart coupes from the early '70s weighs a lot.

At least it's in the right place. The heavy glass I mean.
Be glad you're not thinking of a 2nd gen Barracuda. That rear glass weighs about as much as my wife did on our wedding day.Ima thinking 95 pounds

lol...
At least it's in the right place. The heavy glass I mean.
Be glad you're not thinking of a 2nd gen Barracuda. That rear glass weighs about as much as my wife did on our wedding day.Ima thinking 95 pounds

One thing to remember: Valiants are on a 108" WB, Darts are 111", so a 2nd gen Valiant (or Barracuda) is always lighter than a Dart. I'm not sure where Dusters fit into this.

One thing to remember: Valiants are on a 108" WB, Darts are 111", so a 2nd gen Valiant (or Barracuda) is always lighter than a Dart. I'm not sure where Dusters fit into this.
I guess when you say Barracudas, you mean Notchies?
I'm also of the opinion that Plymouths are lighter than Dodges, and 108s are lighter than 111s.
Somehow,I think the Duster/Demons are about the lightest, along with the Scamps/Valiants/and probably the Nochies;with the 67 to 69 Darts coming in a very, very,close second; the fold down seat cars excepted.You just can't fit much of a tire on a Dart.The later, more "mature"Darts can be lightened up a tad by swapping out those tank bumpers. 2nd gen Barracuda bumpers are about the lightest.I think mine are about 30 pounds per end with brackets and bumperettes.

In about 71,my 70 Swinger340-4spd-8.75,factory stock, scaled at 3310(me in it).Well not quite stock; I think I was running G60-14 Polyglass GTs. Deducting my skinny *** 130pounds at the time,that makes 3180 with a half a tank.Adding a very generous 20 for the Gs and the Mags and the oo-oo 8track player with 4x 30watt speaker system ....................call it 3200
Similarly equipped, my 68 Formulas fastback car is ..............3464.But it has lots of aluminum; intake,heads,wheels,&4pd.Plus,it has lightweight front seats,headers,3" duals, and the GV.The aluminum parts advantage gets eaten up by the GV and pipes, to about a wash.I shelved the rear seat,34# so I'm at ..........3400 car only.That's 200 over the Swinger.
So; in comparison,2nd gen Fastback Barracudas are tanks!

I chose my tank, on account of the huge rear wheel houses and the heavier rear half.Then I lightened up the front as much as possible,yet keeping the very heavy p/s and booster.The full aluminum case tranny offsets the GearVendor.The battery went into the trunk. The aluminum wheels weigh half what an equivalent steel wheel weighs.But I tell you that 3" dual system with twin Dynomaxers is HEAVY at 72pounds.I got the rear weight bias to about 48%.
The p/s-p/b are staying.Don't even go there.That's why I built a real small block.(Sorry teenerboys),lol.

Last edited:
For comparison, my Duster weighs 3,060 with a full tank of gas and no driver. All steel, full interior, iron headed small block. The back glass on the Valiant/Dart coupes from the early '70s weighs a lot.

The back glass is no heavier than anything else the same relative size. Not sure where that came from!

not entirely correct - my Scamp is 111" - - the difference IIRC is between the "fast back" cars - Dusters and Dart Sports being 108" and the "notch back" cars - Scamps and Darts being 111"

The back glass is no heavier than anything else the same relative size. Not sure where that came from!

Well, perhaps I should have meant that it is somewhat larger which would result in the heavier weight. Just one of those things I have in my head.

Dusters are lighter than Darts and the 108" wheelbase cars are lighter in the back. The deck lid might be a little longer on a Dart and like I said, I believe that the backlight is also larger/heavier on those cars.

1966 hemi belvedere , 727 , 8 3/4 , w full stock interior , 318 radiator , right at 3900 pounds. car is long gone now tho. yea I know, it`s not an A body, was just showing how most all chrysler vehicles are tanks! look at the hellcats, 5400 pounds plus !

For comparison, my
Duster weighs 3,060 with a full tank of gas and no driver. All steel, full interior, iron headed small block. The back glass on the Valiant/Dart coupes from the early '70s weighs a lot.
That's what I'm shooting for ish with my dart sport.

-
Back