Looking at a pumpkin

-

72DartSwingerV8

Reaction score
I'm looking at this add on craigslist and here is what it reads:

"Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler 8 3/4 (non-posi) complete pumpkin. This is the heavy-duty one with an 'X' stamped on it! 323 (freeway) gears. Pulled from a 1970 440 Dodge Challenger about 18 years ago and has been sitting in my garage."

I currently have a 7 1/4 which I am looking to replace. Will this bolt right up or do I need to fabricate or get different axles? I've never worked on a rear end so I'm not too sure about this stuff. I know that the gears are more for cruising which is fine for me. Is the 8 3/4 a good rear end or is it too much? I plan on making a built small block so just wondering if this is overkill or a good deal. Thanks again Fabo.

this is not a complete 8 & 3/4 rear end. you will need axle housing axles and brakes. best to look for a complete rear end, drum to drum also address small or large bolt pattern.

Won,t fit 7 1/4.You could look for a complete 8 1/4 or 8 3/4 that will bolt into your 72 Dart.The 8 1/4 has large bolt patten(LBP)and the 8 3/4 will have small bolt pattern(SBP)unless the axels have been changed to LBP.You,ll also have to do some measureing with your driveshaft for fitting.Hope this helps?:read2:

Thanks for the info. I have a small bolt pattern car so I guess I'm looking for an 8 3/4 complete rear end. What kind of fabricating do I need to do to make it fit in my dart if it came out of a truck or van? Is it difficult to narrow it?

Thanks for the info. I have a small bolt pattern car so I guess I'm looking for an 8 3/4 complete rear end. What kind of fabricating do I need to do to make it fit in my dart if it came out of a truck or van? Is it difficult to narrow it?

You can't narrow it unless you have a full machine shop. The housing has to be precisely cut down and ends welded back on with a jig to keep them perfectly straight. And the axles have to be cut down and resplined. Takes a machine shop to do it. Cost $300-350 around here to get one done.

Oh yeah, the spring perches will have to be cut off and re-welded back on in the proper place which is 43" center to center.

-
Back