Looking at, evaluating and pricing a project car.

-
I have WAY more money in my bracket Demon than I will EVER get out of it. But, it's been a ton of fun for the wife, grandkids & myself. The grandson will probably inherit it once I'm gone & then he can do with it as he wishes.

I heard someone recently say…. “I will be dead a very long time, so while I am alive I am going to do what I want.” Hearing this has made me decide and confirm upgrading my 1969 Dart GT to a 340 with a Passon Performance 5 speed is what I want. Yes it will cost a lot of money. And no, my wife doesn’t need to know! Will the car be worth what I have invested? No. But it will sure be fun when I am alive. Not leaving my money to my kids. I expect them to work hard, treat people well and make their own money.

Don't confuse "asking price" with "sold" price. The Duster I have now the guy was asking $4K - I bought it for $1700.

Everything on a project car is always worse than you think and costs more than you expect.

Back around 1980 or 81 a friend of mine was offered a '67 Dart GT hardtop that needed a "water pump and radiator" to run. He failed to mention that he had wrecked the car about 7 years earlier (head on into a Mustang). It was a special car (Dart Rallye package, console with tach, 3.23SG 8-3/4, 273 four barrel, etc.), though. What he failed to tell us is that the engine and trans had been moved back so the the distributor cap was broken on the firewall, the engine was froze up from sitting out in his horse pasture for nearly 7 years. All the good parts found good homes...

I prolly have around 20k in an 8k car now... (She Thinks) I bought it for 4k and put 4k in to it. Ssssshhhhh!!!

View attachment 1715964571
I know what you mean...my 64 was 4K as a roller! It's currently getting a 360 and 4 speed for just over 2K so 6K and it still needs an interior and paint. I'll Easily have 15K by christmas and it'll be worth around 14. Lol, I never expect to make a profit, I just love the build process!

The only way to keep costs "under control" is to be able to do just about all the work yourself. 99% of the people will say we will never ever sell this car! but how many times can life get in the way?
If you an do the work easy to get a price for materials and parts.

I know what you mean...my 64 was 4K as a roller! It's currently getting a 360 and 4 speed for just over 2K so 6K and it still needs an interior and paint. I'll Easily have 15K by christmas and it'll be worth around 14. Lol, I never expect to make a profit, I just love the build process!

At least that's close. I've seen cars with over $100k in them that are worth $50k, maybe...

-
Back