Looking at kick down cables

-

downsr

Reaction score
Any suggestions on kick down cable assemblies for 727 trans other than lokar or original

there is one more out there which is a little more expensive then the lokar
I cant remember the brand name but you can get them through mancini racing
it seems most people who do not like the lokars like the ones mancini sells

now, there is a cheap Chinese knockoff known as "gearheads" as well
on my 71 I use a lokar kick down cable (which I like) and I cheaped out and bought a gearhead throttle cable (figured I could get away with it because it is a simpler cable set up)

you would be amazed at seeing the difference in material quality between the gearhead throttle cable and the lokar kickdown
the nylon inner liner of the lokar is twice as thick as the one on the gearhead

that's the one I was thinking of, no wonder it didn't come to mind with that name

What's wrong with the Lokar you have on their now? I read your thread about how you say it shifts softer with the Lokar cable on it but if the throttle pressure arm is all the way back it'll never shift different with any other cable. A cable is a cable. It only does what you've programed it to do. It's all in matching the carb pull ratio to the trans lever throw ratio. If that's off that's your problem, not the Lokar cable

I had my 727 re done by a local guy which is well know for rebuilding transmissions.I bought a torque converter and wanted a stall of about 2500.I gave them my dyno numbers and all the info they needed.Well the stall turned out to be 3200 .They sent me another one but it had a 131 teeth on conv ring.With the first conv it shifted great i put about 30 miles on it before i took it out.So i got another torque conv from another company put it in and from the first shift i noticed it shifted softer from 1-2 and 2-3.But i drove it about 80 miles and i noticed a slip from 2-3.Took it home .Just making sure everything is adjusted correctly.
before taking it back out AGAIN.Just looking at better cable and throttle set ups.I know that is not going to fix the problem i
have now.Cable is adjusted right.

It's common for the front band to require adjustment soon after a rebuild do to them "wearing in". That may be the whole problem because a loose front band will do exactly what your describing. The good part is it's adjustable from the outside. It's the adjuster located right above the shift linkage on the drivers side. I'd check that first.

I took the pan off and everything looks good no shavings.Will try the adjustment and maybe adjust pressure up a little

Bouchillon Performance makes a really good kickdown cable .
Check out their website. I have one of theirs and it works great.
Not too pricey either.
Sorry, redundant comment. bpeusa is their website as mentioned by previous commenter

-
Back