-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinktooth

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
Hi all , I'm in the process of rebuilding and upgrading my 64 273 to a 4 barrel motor.I have a 65 4 barrel intake my original heads a new hyd cam approx .440 lift and new domed pistons.I now need a carb, the book says a 1965 carter afb #3854s is the correct carb for my intake and auto trans.Does anyone have one for sale or a comparable replacement that will work with my linkage and intake bores? Can anyone suggest a more readily available carb? I'm striving for a stock look nothing flashy.

p.s. I have a 65 commando air cleaner to fit the orig carb as well
thx Mike:burnout:

#1404 Edelbrock AFB will work...500cfm, which is the same as the stock Carter AFB. A 1405/6 will work as well, but they are 600cfm. That's about as big as I'd go.

Your original Commando air cleaner won't fit any Eddy carb as they have the larger throat area, but you can buy a small, cheapo aftermarket air cleaner unit and just use the bottom with your Commando top. No-one will be the wiser.

Good luck.

Thank you 65 for the advice. I'm going to research your suggested replacements in case a original can't be found! I have been trying locally and on ebay for a few months and not a common carb it seems!
here a a few pictures [ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/68518495@N02/sets/72157629687641096/"]Restoration set #1 - a set on Flickr[/ame]

not sure if that works http://www.flickr.com/photos/68518495@N02/

Thank you 65 for the advice. I'm going to research your suggested replacements in case a original can't be found! I have been trying locally and on ebay for a few months and not a common carb it seems!

Yes, they are not common to find. Keep checking ebay, and here, and craigslist and hopefully one will pop up. You can actually use a different application AFB, such as, one from , say ,a 383, or lo-po 440 that looks the same as the 3854, then just jet down a bit. Again, only the trained eye will pick it up.

Hey I may have what you are looking for. I have had one of those carbs sitting around for years, I went with a holley instead and it just sat and collected dust. I think I have a rebuild kit for it somewhere in the garage too. Shoot me a pm if you are interested. I will try to take a couple pics of it for you today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back