looking for 67 and newer A-body measurement

-

abdywgn

dismantler
Reaction score
I am looking for two measurements. They are both in the engine compartment, one near the hood hinge area and the other vertical from the front bolts go in on the k-frame. Both dimensions are side-to-side width and one the upright portion of the "inner" fenderwells. If the front fenders were off, it would be the vertical area inboard of the fender mounting flange. First width would be side-to-side by the hood hinge area; either in front or behind of the bolts. Whatever is easier to get to. The second one is in the front. If you were to cut the front of the car off at the front edge of where the k-frame and front frame rail meet, go straight up to the same vertical piece of inner fender and measure side-to-side. Thanks for the help! Bob

You need to post some photos of where you want the photos.

1b4ce9d9-c47a-4187-9cb4-667b8abb978d-jpeg.jpg

I borrowed this picture but it shows the upright area to measure from side-to-side. Where the end of the board is touching is the metal part to take the measurement from. It could be as far to the rear as the lip on the firewall. The front could be six inches back from the core support. Just say where you measured so I have some idea what I'm working with. My wife says I speak English but she doesn't understand me. Sorry for the drawn out explanation. If I could post a drawing, it would be much simplier.

I have the engine out of a 70 duster and took some measurements hope that helps

1F8FF938-1399-46F7-B81E-AFFFF16459C5.jpeg

FCFD975C-9593-41CA-B2A0-0CAC54A7FBFF.jpeg

F48EB0A4-1EF6-4FA0-8715-6CFC126BB0D3.jpeg

7433721B-752E-43C3-87E5-C66BD064FBD0.jpeg

ABEA9A79-C771-4619-82D0-D7C39B0D3A12.jpeg

8273C71E-BB56-46BD-97F6-5A6349704DF7.jpeg

CA4C40DB-82AD-446C-BD84-08CEF78E359F.jpeg

BBDBE493-F187-458C-95D7-10AF8D8F9A6F.jpeg

752B829B-44BE-462E-8C43-FF5133C43914.jpeg

The last one is the lower fender well at the front behind the radiator support

I have a 67 dart out back also, if it would help more but is under a considerable amount of snow right now

What is your goal in these measurements? If for body panel alignment, I would mock-fit the fenders/hood and establish they are straight with the door and the body bolt holes are not bolt bound, as well as diagonal dimensions are correct. Shock mount position and K-member bolt locations would probably set everything within specs as long as there isn't a twist in things which gets into a totally different subject. The reason I question this is that it would be pretty hard to have a firewall measurement that is off unless it is severely damaged and the front measurement is set by the radiator support, so you could have a car that has correct measurements side to side but the diagonals are off, i.e., it was hit in the front and is a parallelogram.

THANK-YOU DUSTER 344! (hope you can hear me), that's exactly what I am looking for! I did not think about the last measurement but that also will be helpful. No need to go trug around in the snow with the tape measure. These are all good. Thanks again.

What is your goal in these measurements? If for body panel alignment, I would mock-fit the fenders/hood and establish they are straight with the door and the body bolt holes are not bolt bound, as well as diagonal dimensions are correct. Shock mount position and K-member bolt locations would probably set everything within specs as long as there isn't a twist in things which gets into a totally different subject. The reason I question this is that it would be pretty hard to have a firewall measurement that is off unless it is severely damaged and the front measurement is set by the radiator support, so you could have a car that has correct measurements side to side but the diagonals are off, i.e., it was hit in the front and is a parallelogram.
oh, do you REALLY want to know? you all will just shake your heads. anyway, short story long: I wanted an A body wagon (abdywgn) and thought an early A would be to my liking. Well, not so much. Then, I saw the Australian Darts and the 69-70 wagon would fill the bill. I even had a donor 69 A ready to donate the front end. Well, reality set in, along with the thought of shipping/transportation charges. So, that went by the way side. I did acquire a Hornet Sportabout and planned to use that for a 360/4-speed swap. The A-body 8-3/4 looks like it will fit with maybe a change of the centering pins in the leaf springs. I'm not a fan of the coil on top of A-arm front suspension. SOO, a thought formed about switching out to an A-body front clip. The reason for the measurements is to see where the inner sheet metal would line up with the original pieces that hold the front fenders. While it would be nice to keep the front steer, I don't think the linkage will clear the k-frame. Putting this together would give me my A-body wagon. See, I told you you didn't want to know. But thanks for asking.

Sounds like a great way to make what you want to me! Getting the door/fender edges to line up might be a pain, but if you can pull it off it would be awesome. Good luck with it!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I figured there might be some drinking and thinking going on. I’m not one to judge why, the how is always interesting though

Hey Bob, I come up with at 55" at the hinges and 54" at the core support. On the hight, I layed a 4' level on the flat of the inner fender and measures about 14 1/4" tall.

20230111_181101.jpg

Last edited:
the information I did not ask for but you guys gave was more helpful. One more measurement: shock stud to shock stud. either the tip or the base would be great. Thanks again for all your help.

oh, do you REALLY want to know? you all will just shake your heads. anyway, short story long: I wanted an A body wagon (abdywgn) and thought an early A would be to my liking. Well, not so much. Then, I saw the Australian Darts and the 69-70 wagon would fill the bill. I even had a donor 69 A ready to donate the front end. Well, reality set in, along with the thought of shipping/transportation charges. So, that went by the way side. I did acquire a Hornet Sportabout and planned to use that for a 360/4-speed swap. The A-body 8-3/4 looks like it will fit with maybe a change of the centering pins in the leaf springs. I'm not a fan of the coil on top of A-arm front suspension. SOO, a thought formed about switching out to an A-body front clip. The reason for the measurements is to see where the inner sheet metal would line up with the original pieces that hold the front fenders. While it would be nice to keep the front steer, I don't think the linkage will clear the k-frame. Putting this together would give me my A-body wagon. See, I told you you didn't want to know. But thanks for asking. I
No head shaking here but without this information the measurements made little sense. Good luck on the project. You sound like you know what you are doing.

(Hooked on to it) as we say in carpentry, should give you a center to center measurement

56B42D61-B761-42D3-BF53-D2CCC6273506.jpeg

Thank-you all for the information. Now, to put the numbers in one place that I will find once I dig the front clip out of the backyard. Looking forward to spring!

-
Back