Looking for a brave wiring expert to help with wiring

-

grassy

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a '75 Duster. The PO sprayed he wiring harness with tar. When we took the harness out we took pics but they have been lost. We tagged some of the stuff but we didn't do any more when we pealed off the covering (and to disconnect some of the pieces) to rid the wires of the tar.

We later cut some pieces to help tangle out the mess.

We are making changes under the hood that will get rid of some of the boxes.

I am now working through the wiring harness diagrams in the service manual and I am running into brick walls.

I am looking for some one that I can send pictures / questions to and I navigate this mess.

Oh, our budget this year is blown so buying a painless or whatever new harness is not an option.

Thanks
Ian.

The problem is I simply don't have docs for a 75. I have a 74 paper manual and that's it. Further, Ma changed the way they draw diagrams somewhere around "there" and this makes some things more difficult.

I've forgotten, what ? again? do you have for a manual?

If you have the proper 75 manual, and IF you can make good scans of ALL the A body electrical pages, I might be able to help you.

If you have the 75 manual, one thing that should help you a lot is that to the rear pages of the diagram is the index pictorial of connectors and their location

As an example, "CE-23" diagrams a pictorial of the temp sender connector, depicting a right angle one wire connector and shows the wire color, and the LOCATION, "right front of engine."

67dart273,

In '75, the wiring diagrams are in another service manual, the body service manual.

Can I send you the first page to see how it matches with the '74....can you om me an e-mail addy ?

I would like to cut out a lot of the stuff to make the wiring in the engine bay much simplified.

I am also going back to school to try to learn something so I can find a job so you will not be pestered by my questions 7/24 :)

Thanks
Ian.

"Oh, our budget this year is blown so buying a painless or whatever new harness is not an option."

Gotta make this work.... :(

The only thing i wonder is, if you had to hack the harness b/c of the PO's idiocy. Won't rebuilding the oem harness from scratch nickel and dime you to the point of costing more than a new universal harness. You'll be amazed how much wiring and connectors will add up.

I mean an inexpensive universal harness is only 150 bucks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rebel-Wire-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item58927a68cd&vxp=mtr

I mean an inexpensive universal harness is only 150 bucks

With the amount of ability and smarts on this board and the demand for this product, I am surprised that no one has actually built for retail a wiring harness for classic MOPARS. The universal harnesses seem painful to build and there doesn't seem to be a company wanting to fill this void.

Regardless, my harness is workable. My time is free. Some of the abortions I thought were caused by the PO are actually "factory done". But I need help.

I have identified 95% of the connectors....and I am making changes like orange box ignition, using none of the mopar gauges, getting rid of the ballast via a coil and making the pollution control disappear. This should have an impact on the wiring.

I also have questions like the ERG reminder lamp wire leaves the firewall and is joined in a two part connector (exhaust gas recirculation maintenance lamp switch) that also houses a black wire. This black wire connects with a single connector (not sure what it is for) then continues to meet (joined) with 6 other black wires in an octopus..

_IGP8362-L.jpg

Is this black a ground ? So even though i don't use the ERG thingy anymore, I cannot cut it our however, can I simplify this and cut out this plug (exhaust gas recirculation maintenance lamp switch) and joining the two colour wires together ?

AND

The plug that plugged into my old ignition box has different colour wired that the plug that will be plugging into my new orange box. Since there is a discrepancy in colours, do I cut the harness and wire in the new plug based on location ?

Thanks
Ian.

Guys he HAS the shop manual. He needs to rework the HARNESS

Ian; I can probably help get you up and running if you wish, I'm pretty good at wiring I could come down for a few hours some weekend if you like

Try www.evanswiring.com Hes a good guy and you can send him your harness and he can rebuild it for you. If not I have a 74 duster thats had countless wiring problems if you need pictures just tell me what you want specifically and I will try to help because I have a complete under the dash harness that I can send you pictures of

Do yo need these??

Attachments

• 75DartA.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 169
  • 75DartB.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 153
duster ed..I just sent 67 16 pages of diagrams..crumbs..my MG only had 2.

You wouldn't have the under dash diagram...I may have it (thumping head at the moment) but I need to find what the wiring is for both the light switch and windshield washers.. I am putting in a new console and i need access to the blinker wires, etc..

And do you know of an easy way to tap into these wires or is cutting / soldering the only way..

hawk,

I am walking through this with 67dart at the moment...trying to understand...

Thanx
Ian.

Got 'em. Sent you a PM. When you get time look beyond the back of the diagrams and send me the connector chart diagrams.

These diagrams are nothing like the 76, and the page / mapping / indexing is different from 74

If I can figure out how, I'll wrap these up into a pdf and try 'n figure a way to post it somewhere

Nice job, by the way, on the scans

-
Back