Looking for a Car Shipper

-

jimharvard

JimHarvard
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
well.... my problems with getting my parts car down to AMD in Georgia continue. it seem's no one wants to ship a body shell on casters or they want outragious amounts of money for the trip.

sooooo.... if any of my fellow FABO readers have a flat-bed trailer or an enclosed trailer i will pay $750.00 to have this body shell picked up at my house in Pittsburgh and taken to AMD in Cleveland, Georgia.

for miliage here's the details:

pickup: 72 Wynnecliffe Drive, Carnegie, PA 15106 jim coster 412-498-4317

going to: American Metal Direct, 7314 Highway #115 East, Cleveland, GA craig collins
706-348-6653

the car is ready for pickup but must be dropped off at AMD during business hours, M-F 9-5.

call me or contact me here on FABO if you want to do this deal.

thanks..

Jim Coster

s-l1600.jpg

Man I wish I could help. I have to a make an empty run south to Calif. real soon. Just the wrong coast or I'd help out. Good luck sir.

Man I wish I could help. I have to a make an empty run south to Calif. real soon. Just the wrong coast or I'd help out. Good luck sir.

hey blind squirrel....

thanks for your reply.... i actually had a shipper quoting $2200.00 for the trip from pittsburgh to atlanta - about 500 miles!! that's the kind of nutty stuff that you run into when you go on the internet to try and ship a car...

hey blind squirrel....

thanks for your reply.... i actually had a shipper quoting $2200.00 for the trip from pittsburgh to atlanta - about 500 miles!! that's the kind of nutty stuff that you run into when you go on the internet to try and ship a car...

It was absolutely nuts when I tried to find a shipper to take a duster from PA to CO

Good luck

best deal youll get will be a LTL carrier but they would probably require it to be crated,..cheapest deal youd find be a flat bed or step deck already going that way with room left on trailer!! but youll have hard time finding that your self,..if your near any decent sized truck stops you could take a pic of your post here and print off some flyers take to truck stops hang up at load bord screen in phone room, fuel desk,...above urinals in bathrooms....youd find a driver willing to do it but might take some time or look in yellow pages for freight brokers in your area see if thay can work you a deal...while in yellow pages look for hotshot freighters,there cheaper lot of times....

Have you asked for a quote on U Ship? Had a roller 65 Dart 4 door shipped from Raleigh NC to me in northern VA.

Have you asked for a quote on U Ship? Had a roller 65 Dart 4 door shipped from Raleigh NC to me in northern VA.

i've listed this car on uship twice. i currently have an open listing there. i did get a number of responses but most of them were just nutty - like the $2200 quote i listed above. i had no problem getting this car in an enclosed trailer from NY to Pittsburgh. for some reason, the trips south seem to be harder to book. i don't really understand the problem.

From what I have found...the less you want to pay the longer it takes to get someone to ship the car. Most companies take your request and submit it to a bunch of shippers (contractors, US wide). Each individual shipper (truck driver) looks at the list of possible jobs and picks the highest paying job depending on where they plan to drive their rig. I live in South Texas (dead end for most drivers), I ended up having to pay a friend to rent a U-Haul to drive to Georgia to pick up a car and bring it to me because no one would do it (this was a running driving car). If you're willing to pay their asking price they will do it otherwise you might end up waiting forever.

PS - A non running/driving car will even be more difficult to move. Truck drivers ignore the more difficult jobs and always take the easier jobs. At least that's what I have found!!

Treblig

From what I have found...the less you want to pay the longer it takes to get someone to ship the car. Most companies take your request and submit it to a bunch of shippers (contractors, US wide). Each individual shipper (truck driver) looks at the list of possible jobs and picks the highest paying job depending on where they plan to drive their rig. I live in South Texas (dead end for most drivers), I ended up having to pay a friend to rent a U-Haul to drive to Georgia to pick up a car and bring it to me because no one would do it (this was a running driving car). If you're willing to pay their asking price they will do it otherwise you might end up waiting forever.

PS - A non running/driving car will even be more difficult to move. Truck drivers ignore the more difficult jobs and always take the easier jobs. At least that's what I have found!!

Treblig

the thing that strikes me odd is that i had at least 4 immediate and decent quotes to ship this car from NY to Pittsburgh. now, i can't find anyone who wants to go "South" from Pittsburgh to Atlanta. trucks DO drive "South." i just don't get it.

750 bucks for 600 miles is a 1.25 a mile,by time a company takes theres off the top not nuff left for truck to mess with...biggest issue i see is way car body is would be a liability to truck,..no protection on it,..on them wheels be a night mare to tie down and keep still and not damage it over 600 miles...if its not threw a company/shipper thats cut a bill of lading under I.C.C. authority laws then no body wants to try to get threw wight stations as it would be illegal freight and truck could lose its operating authority...

I wouldn't tow it 650 miles on the dollies. Across town yes, no chance on a highway for 10+ hours.

the thing that strikes me odd is that i had at least 4 immediate and decent quotes to ship this car from NY to Pittsburgh. now, i can't find anyone who wants to go "South" from Pittsburgh to Atlanta. trucks DO drive "South." i just don't get it.

I also had some decent quotes (initially) but no one ever followed through. It's like a "bait and switch" kinda thing. They get you all excited then they let you down, after a while you get so frustrated that you start offering larger and larger amounts of money to get your car to it's destination. Eventually your offer will get high enough for someone to take it otherwise everyone else comes first. When my bids got up over 1K (this was 2 years ago) I told a friend of mine and he said that he would do it for $1100. I was so frustrated by that time (had been waiting 6 weeks) I was glad to pay $1100 just to get the car home, since it was friend of mine I knew the car would get home safely!!!:

DSC04483.JPG
DSC04485.JPG
DSC04486.JPG

Treblig

I trailered mine 300+ either direction on the same dollies in a enclosed trailer with no issues. Stopped once up and back to check the straps with no issues! A little nervous bringing the finished product home but was never an issue. Hodge restorations had it padded at the doors, trunk and hood well and it traveled just fine @ 75mph!

750 bucks for 600 miles is a 1.25 a mile,by time a company takes theres off the top not nuff left for truck to mess with...biggest issue i see is way car body is would be a liability to truck,..no protection on it,..on them wheels be a night mare to tie down and keep still and not damage it over 600 miles...if its not threw a company/shipper thats cut a bill of lading under I.C.C. authority laws then no body wants to try to get threw wight stations as it would be illegal freight and truck could lose its operating authority...

dirty white boy...

i know very little about the trucking business and i never did any ICC stuff in my legal practice.

are you saying that a "private" person could not be paid to haul this body on a flat trailer due to ICC regs? also, this body is very light - maybe 500 lbs. max. a pickup with a standard tandem axle car trailer would haul this like there was nothing on the trailer. if the driver did have to go through a weigh station, he would basically only have the weight of the truck and the trailer - plus like 500 lbs. would that be a concern?

and as to "tying the car down", my understanding of ICC regs on securring loads are that you have to have at least "4 points of attachment". so why would it be a problem to put 4 straps around the frame on each dolly?

as to the $750 - at 10 mpg you would need 120 gals of gas for a round trip to georgia. at $2.60/gal that's $312.00. that leaves $438.00 for the driver's time. what would be a reasonable payment for the driver for this trip?

dirty white boy...

i know very little about the trucking business and i never did any ICC stuff in my legal practice.

are you saying that a "private" person could not be paid to haul this body on a flat trailer due to ICC regs? also, this body is very light - maybe 500 lbs. max. a pickup with a standard tandem axle car trailer would haul this like there was nothing on the trailer. if the driver did have to go through a weigh station, he would basically only have the weight of the truck and the trailer - plus like 500 lbs. would that be a concern?

and as to "tying the car down", my understanding of ICC regs on securring loads are that you have to have at least "4 points of attachment". so why would it be a problem to put 4 straps around the frame on each dolly?

as to the $750 - at 10 mpg you would need 120 gals of gas for a round trip to georgia. at $2.60/gal that's $312.00. that leaves $438.00 for the driver's time. what would be a reasonable payment for the driver for this trip?
standerd pick ups with car trailers dont generally haul cross country for hire rates, big trucks do! big trucks get like 6 mpg! no a pickup n trailer ant under I.C.C. just big trucks hauling for hire,..why i suggested hotshot freighter thats like a big pic up and trailer somewhat bigger than a car trailer and thay operate somewhat between 2men n a truck and a trucking company... tieing it down on them dolleys idk if thayd survive the ride but if removed and set on 4x4 blocks could be straped down on a flate bed but most dry vans lack points of attachment inside,..might could price out a uhaul truck and doit your self or rent a trailer if you have a good pick up...

standerd pick ups with car trailers dont generally haul cross country for hire rates, big trucks do! big trucks get like 6 mpg! no a pickup n trailer ant under I.C.C. just big trucks hauling for hire,..why i suggested hotshot freighter thats like a big pic up and trailer somewhat bigger than a car trailer and thay operate somewhat between 2men n a truck and a trucking company... tieing it down on them dolleys idk if thayd survive the ride but if removed and set on 4x4 blocks could be straped down on a flate bed but most dry vans lack points of attachment inside,..might could price out a uhaul truck and doit your self or rent a trailer if you have a good pick up...

thanks for your reply... there's actually a guy here on FABO that has contacted me about possibly transporting the car with his pickup and tandam trailer. we're talking about pricing right now.

i have a new dodge dooley that i purchased for towing my cars to car shows. i could take this body shell to georgia but i'm currently finishing up a "flip house" for listing on april 1st and really don't have the time to make this trip. i'm hoping i can get something arranged soon.

most trucks i know would need 2 bucks or more a mile 1 way to make it fit there profit margen,..on a hotshot deal idk you should be close at 750 id hope,...2 men n a truck, depend on the 2 men...good luck with it man...

I trailered mine 300+ either direction on the same dollies in a enclosed trailer with no issues. Stopped once up and back to check the straps with no issues! A little nervous bringing the finished product home but was never an issue. Hodge restorations had it padded at the doors, trunk and hood well and it traveled just fine @ 75mph!

my car came from upstate NY to Pittsburgh in a closed race car trailer on the noted dollies with no problem. i'm pretty sure it will make it to georgia.

Private individuals hauling freight for payment across state lines without a DOT number, put themselves at risk of a large fine if stopped. Trailers hauling cars are especially prone to be stopped. Generally you have to prove the car is yours and it's for your own personal purposes that you are hauling it.

See this blog entry for an example:

hauling my own stuff for my own business across state lines ? | TruckersReport.com Trucking Forum | #1 CDL Truck Driver Message Board

Not to mention there is no way anyone with experience would roll that on a trailer, strap it and take off for hundreds of miles. The subframe would need to be on rigid blocking and strapped 4 ways to be secure.

I've got a Ram 2500 diesel and 10k, 20ft car trailer and would love to make $750 but the risks stated above and liability to the owner which cannot be covered without a DOT number would preclude me from even thinking about it!

Private individuals hauling freight for payment across state lines without a DOT number, put themselves at risk of a large fine if stopped. Trailers hauling cars are especially prone to be stopped. Generally you have to prove the car is yours and it's for your own personal purposes that you are hauling it.

See this blog entry for an example:

hauling my own stuff for my own business across state lines ? | TruckersReport.com Trucking Forum | #1 CDL Truck Driver Message Board

Not to mention there is no way anyone with experience would roll that on a trailer, strap it and take off for hundreds of miles. The subframe would need to be on rigid blocking and strapped 4 ways to be secure.

I've got a Ram 2500 diesel and 10k, 20ft car trailer and would love to make $750 but the risks stated above and liability to the owner which cannot be covered without a DOT number would preclude me from even thinking about it!
its a big gray area,..but 46 years in trucking ive never seen or herd of man in pick up hauling a car get harrased by dot,..in any state...but i ant seen erry thing ether...

-
Back