Looking for a new daily

-

roccodart440

Reaction score
I just sold my 1991 Volvo 240 last night. Unsure if I'm happy about that or not, LOVED the car, but I get tired of things and it started having a lot of little bs stuff going on so I sold it for the purchase price.

I, like many these days have gotten into the trend of daily driving an older, technically "vintage" vehicle. Sad to say 91 is an antique/vintage :-(

Anyhow, I'm looking for something else to daily. The criteria is that it needs to be 5g or under, unique and fun.

A few I'm considering.....

1. Omni GLHS

2. Mercedes Diesel

3. Saab 900 turbo

Open to other ideas.

volvo.jpg

Last edited:
And yes, those are C4 Vette wheels with custom centercaps.

get a volare or an aspen, I especially like the 78 roadrunner, all show, no go
(but I expect you to address that, of course)

or, if you want something newer, get a neon srt4

I went and looked at some of the volare/aspens and I can't get into them. I appreciate the suggestion though.

I just sold my 1991 Volvo 240 last night. Unsure if I'm happy about that or not, LOVED the car, but I get tired of things and it started having a lot of little bs stuff going on so I sold it for the purchase price.

I, like many these days have gotten into the trend of daily driving an older, technically "vintage" vehicle. Sad to say 91 is an antique/vintage :-(

Anyhow, I'm looking for something else to daily. The criteria is that it needs to be 5g or under, unique and fun.

A few I'm considering.....

1. Omni GLHS

2. Mercedes Diesel

3. Saab 900 turbo

Open to other ideas.

View attachment 1715426456
Current daily is a 1998 BMW 328is, sporty and fun. Used to daily a 2002 PT Turbo, surprisingly fast.

I'm digging the Omni GLHS.

Found an 85' in Connecticut for 3500. Black, stick, Shelby GLH. almost perfect with low miles.

The 240 such a great car but little things do add up. The dodge omni would be cool I personally never see any where I live. The Saab is pretty cool and unique shouldn’t be to much different than a Volvo work on. The Mercedes diesels are great and seem to run forever, quite a few of them here in Oregon very popular. Dustin

Well mine isn't a GLHS, it's just a lowly GLH-Turbo.
I bought it stone stock for $3500, ran into some immediate minor mechanical problems. That somehow morphed into a conversion to GLHS electronics, Stage II logic module, bigger injectors, bigger fuel pump, modded and ported Garrett T03 Super 60 turbo, fastburn head, MP valve springs, MP S60 cam, Shelby 2 piece intake manifold, GLHS radiator/intercooler, and a full 3" exhaust.

Averages about 18-20mpg in town, can get around 30mpg all hwy. A little laggy, boost then comes on hard like an afterburner. It can't keep traction above 10psi of boost in 1st and 2nd gear. Torque steer is pretty wild. Boost in a corner turns into the inside tire going up in smoke. Boost on wet roads through 3rd gear is dangerous. Stock suspension is overwhelmed by the current power level, as are the tires. Brakes are adequate at best. Steering is light and quick. Interior is taxi cab cheap. Seats are decent but sit up high. Everything vibrates and rattles. Loud. Smelly. Brash.

So pretty much the perfect daily driver!

Last edited:
get a volare or an aspen, I especially like the 78 roadrunner, all show, no go
(but I expect you to address that, of course)

or, if you want something newer, get a neon srt4

I have coupleo f F bodies I like them but the corral is getting crowded, these might have to go! 79 super six, 76 RR 318''Ha

100_2567.JPG

100_2580.JPG

that orange one would be an awesome first car for my boy
specially if I could find the louvers for it...should be no problem since its another 7 years before he can start driving
Not to high jac the thread but the louvers are painted and in the back seat.

Picked up the new daily

1977 Mercedes 300D

1 owner out of Vermont. 97k miles.

Pics to come.

Saab 900's are supposed to be some pretty quick little cars. It's on my list of things to own some day. I'm in no hurry as I've sworn off FWD cars! (except for the 2 Honda N600's I now own) On the second hand, I have a couple of older Mercedes cars that I cant bring myself to get rid of even though they have little BS things going on too - they are very solid machines

Looks like a nice car. I don't know much about them. Are parts expensive. Hard to work on.

Most parts are not. Other than the fuel pumps (2) they are cheap for parts. I.e. 100 alternater, 10$ for a VC gasket, glow plugs are 12$ a piece.

Easy to work on. There is nothing there and they are simple as can be.

THe only shitty thing is the glow plugs in the early one are run in series (like old chirstmas lights) one stop working, they all stop/.

-
Back