Looking for a part or what it is called..

-

iw378

Reaction score
I've been using whatever kind of limited google foo I have to find a part but it's kinda hard if I don't know the right name of what I'm looking for. Getting pissed.. LOL
my FSM does not call it out. I have the steering wheel off of my 69 barracuda and under what I would call the horn contact copper ring there is a plastic thing that I think would isolate the ground path. It is falling apart. What is it's name and where can I get one from..

You could try getting a used steering wheel. Try PM'ing barracudakid, he has alot of barracuda parts. Or whitepunkonnitro.

why would he need a new steering wheel??

the part he is talking about is part of the turn signal assy.

its a little wheel that turns on the copper surface behind the steering wheel to complete the horn circuit ....if the plastic tower with the wheel on top is broken then he needs to seek replacement for the assembly

Attachments

• tsignal1.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 415
I thought the part he was trying to describe was part of the steering wheel as that is what the picture shows.

I thought the part he was trying to describe was part of the steering wheel as that is what the picture shows.

oh yea, like if the copper ring went bad .....usually those copper surfaces clean up with a visit to the sand blast cabinet and a low pressure fine grit hit over it cleans it right up :D

The part I am looking for is behind the copper ring in my pic. the thing you have circled rides on that ring. basically there is a large plastic washer behind the copper horn contact in the picture
you can see chunks of it missing. I don't think I have to get a 200 dollar wheel to replace a plastic sleeve ?

In my pic you can see a heavy retaining clip on the outside of the spline shaft. Underneath that there is a thin plastic sleeve with a piece missing from about 5 oclock to 8 oclock on the inner diameter of the horn contact ring.

The heavy metal retaining clip that you refer to is actually what cancels the turn signal mechanism. It has been years since I have had one of those wheels off, from my recollection that assembly does not come apart.

Is the copper ring still tight, does your horn function properly? If so I would just pot the plastic back together with some epoxy. I think if you try taking it apart you would open up a can of worms.

That part was molded plastic and metal together sort of like motor supports are rubber and metal. You wont find the plastic available separately. You can find the same part on much later model steering wheels though.
I have an extra here that I offered to another member once but he chose the same path as most owners / do it yourselfers... Pull it off ( cant be repaired while on the wheel ) and rebuild it with epoxy or plasti-cast. Either product is non conductive.
A line wrench makes a good knocker for that strange and strong steel ring.
Note the position of the rings limb so it goes back in the same place. It cancels the turn signal switch.

The plastic insulator is molded around the brass ring, it's all one piece, and yes, it's called a Horn Contact Ring.

is the mystery piece similar to the black plastic ring in the picture? Lawrence

Attachments

• ventframe 016.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 316
He's talking about the Copper Ring that is attached to the back of the steering wheel. On the side that faces the wheel, there is a rubber/plastic shell molded around the copper to isolate it from the wheel itself.

Put some wheel bearing grease on the part that is not supposed to be covered and then dip it. Once dry you should be able to easily open up the contact area where you put the grease.

how about jb weld?

The black compound of JB weld has metal it in and is at least partially conductive.
It also responds to magnetism (found this out the hard way) :D

I have also NEVER seen that insulator available as a separate part either.

I'm surprised that one has already caused a problem ( continuous horn ). The inner lip or edge of the brass must be covered. I normally just form up something sort of close that will control flow and put ample filler to it. I'll use a dremel or other to get the finished shape I want after its fully cured.

Try contacting Mike Tarkington through eBay, his ID there is MTark! He redoes steering wheels and may be able to help! There are a couple other steering wheel restorers out the there too if you google steering wheel restoration! Geof

Hey Luke, just spitballin here, but why couldn't you get a thin piece of plastic, maybe milk jug material and cut it just a little bigger than the outside diameter, lay it on there and use a heat gun or something to warm it and let it form to that piece and then trim it off.

For the inside diameter trim it just a little out from the edge so you can warm it and form it down over the edge like it is in the pic.

Just a two penny thought.

Yeah, I have a sheet of abs in the garage I'll report back after a little heat gun work.
Luke

-
Back