Looking for a spark of Motivation!

-

Rengo

Reaction score
It has been a while since I have been on here, about a year. I gave up everything to go to college, I will be the only person in my family to attend and graduate with a four year degree. I am almost done, but at ends with my father who has his name on my car, which is broke down and in his possession. This has me feeling pretty low, he has all of my parts at his house and the body panels are still in a shop, been in storage for 3 years. Gonna be a big bill there huh.

Should I just part ways with restoring a Duster and move on to something better after I graduate?

When have you last seen the car? Is it remotely possible he is having it restored as a college graduation gift?

confused as well.... communication is the key though... talk to your dad... and remember, you will have a relationship with him long after the car is gone.....

I agree with the above post. Your relationship with your father is worth more than any car.
You make it sound as tho your dad owns it and has invested money but may want you to reimburse him. I don't want to read to much into your situation. Has he continued working on it while you were at college? Also if your father is a car guy keep in mind that to work on a car together is a great bonding tool! I'm 55 years old and I owe my car knowledge to my dad as I spent 20 years working for him in his auto repair shop. He's retired now and I spend time every day talking about cars with him. It keeps us together. Best of luck with your situation.
Rod

My dad owns the car, and I invested the money into the body work. He is beyond poor and has no intentions of doing anything for me.

He was abusive in the past, and justifies his actions, when there is no way to justify them. Though he changed, his didn't change enough. The best way to say it.

He will try and hold the other car over you .just buy another car and be done with it

Sounds familiar...
My dad "gave" me a 409 Impala when I was 14. Said you get title when you're 16. got a job and bought thousands in parts. 16 came and said not til 18. same thing kept working on car buying parts etc.. 18 came not til you 21. Threw towl in until 21st b-day. Showed up at house with car trailer said i'll take car when I get title. He threw a fit, screamed/hollered/ threw stuff. got title and car was loaded. I restored the car and had it about 12 years or so then sold it about 9 years ago.
looking back, between 18-21 is when I got hooked on Mopars. Bought a couple of Chargers, a Chally and a Scamp. I went back to that car cause by that time I had well over $12,000 invested into the car. If you are in a position where you can cut your losses and get another car, it might be worth it. ( It would have been for me) then again, you are the only one who truely knows the situation.
Good luck!

My dad owns the car, and I invested the money into the body work. He is beyond poor and has no intentions of doing anything for me.

He was abusive in the past, and justifies his actions, when there is no way to justify them. Though he changed, his didn't change enough. The best way to say it.

Here's what I think

Whether you try and warm up to your Dad is one issue. It sounds to me that your Dad and you have deep deep long term issues.

The car is lost. If it's "his" then you don't have a hand in it. Write off the money, and start over. If you can afford a classic car, go find your own.

After reading this. ^^^^^^

Should I just part ways with restoring a Duster and move on to something better after I graduate?

^^^^^^^^ This is what I would do.

Yeah, I kind of figured on that, I have about 6,000 in body work and parts on the car, but stopped after I was tired of being let down over and over again. It was my daily driver and just kept breaking down, so now I don't have a car, but I have always wanted a 1970 Chally. or Charger.

He will try and hold the other car over you .just buy another car and be done with it

This ^^^^^ is the best way to deal with it, I believe.

Let it go. Money seems tight now, but after you get a job, 6k is a fart in the wind. Maybe one day your dad will realize it wasn't worth it. I hope at least. I also say learn how to do body work, and build engines/transmission/suspensions. Plenty of into on here, and in general, that will help get you on track without spending a bunch more than parts. It's easy. When you get planted, get a garage and go to town.

Remember the difference between a professional, and an amateur, is the professional has done it more times. :D

-
Back