Looking for an electric fan. 65 Cuda, 273

-

rick1062

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Just wondering if anyone has found a late model car that uses an electric fan that works well on these A Body cars? 1965 Barracuda 273 with auto to be specific. Having overheating problems at low speeds.

Or any other ideas...

Thanks as always,

Rick

Have you checked the condition of your cooling system?

1)Radiator flow
2)Thermostadt operating correctly
3)Correct coolant mix 50/50
4) Hoses not kinked
5)Water pump working and belt not too loose (slipping).
6)Fan working and shrouded

*When COOL pop the radiator cap look inside and make sure the coolant is flowing across the top.

*If you have a flex fan, junk it and get a viscous fan and its extremely important that you have a fan shroud.

*Flush your system with a good Radiator flush.

*Radiators if clogged can be refurbished by removing the top and rodding out the core.

* With the combo your running the factory cooling system should work fine IF operating properly. I would start there instead of adding an electric fan.

Get it up to running temp,, and if you've got a heat gun,, shoot the temps across the front of the rad, about half way down,, if you don't have a heat gun,, touch the back of your knuckles across the front of the rad,,..

What you're feeling/looking for is cool/cold patches,, these are plugged tubes not allowing coolant to flow... The bigger the cool areas ,, the bigger your prob..

You can also shoot the temps at the inlet/outlet FITTING of the rad,, it should be more than 40* difference..

hope it helps

If you are cool at highway cruising speed and it only overheats at idle or low speed your radiator is OK and you need to pull more air through the radiator. The simplest way to do that is with an OEM, Chrysler flex fan. They came on 70's and 80's Dodges, Plymouths, and Chryslers. On a 65 you have to get a smaller diameter fan as you will clip things like upper radiator hoses. Look for a /6 AC car. I don't run fan shrouds and if you don't have yours, good luck finding one.

I run a 2007 Chevy HHR fan on my car. With minor trimming around the water pump it fit my 22" radiator perfectly. I got mine at RockAuto.com for about 50 bucks. It pulls a crap ton of air, and quite a bit of amperage, but it works really well.

View attachment 620-951-001__ra_p.jpg

Have you checked the condition of your cooling system?

1)Radiator flow
2)Thermostadt operating correctly
3)Correct coolant mix 50/50
4) Hoses not kinked
5)Water pump working and belt not too loose (slipping).
6)Fan working and shrouded

*When COOL pop the radiator cap look inside and make sure the coolant is flowing across the top.

*If you have a flex fan, junk it and get a viscous fan and its extremely important that you have a fan shroud.

*Flush your system with a good Radiator flush.

*Radiators if clogged can be refurbished by removing the top and rodding out the core.

* With the combo your running the factory cooling system should work fine IF operating properly. I would start there instead of adding an electric fan.

I have checked items 1-6 and all is good, except I don't have a shroud at all. Also, I don't have a viscous fan. It is a six blade, but not a flex fan. Was there a shroud on these cars from the factory or are you talking about some add on? And the big question... where could I find one?

Thanks, these and the others are all great suggestions.

Rick

-
Back