Looking for another A-Body and help.

-

Derwud

Reaction score
First about me, I got my first car at 16 in 1981, a 70 Dodge Charger R/T, still have it although it hasn't run since 87. I have had 3 previous A bodies, 65 Valiant, 67 Valiant and a 69 Dart. Along with a 71 Satellite, 91 Dakota, 92 Ramcharger.

So my 16 yr old Daughter wants my Charger! I said no way, but let's look for a nice smaller Mopar for you.. Mom is behind it and is throwing the money out for it. I just want a running semi project car with a clean body under 5K. I would like V-8 with A/C and front discs, but I willing to give up one or all of those for the right car!

Looked at 2 cars yesterday, first a 74 Duster 318, power discs, A/C (Compressor removed). "Little Rust on A pillar". Drove 2 hours to San Diego and the little rust turned out to be two huge holes at the top of the A-Pillars, the one on the right is CRUNCHY about 3 inches around the hole and there is a hole at the bottom of the A-pillar! Rust holes in door and passenger QTR panel and Drivers QTR. Plus the car barely ran when he went to start it!! Nope, not for me!!

Second car, 74 Dart, repainted, but seemed straight and rust free, but had a crappy, but effective spare tire well rust repair. All is great until I take a test drive, first no brakes, well barley almost to the floor brakes. Second, car goes where it wants to and steering is as vague as it can be.. Get back to the house, barely, and look at the steering, (Now I am a Tech by training and have done just about everything but rebuild a rear diff on a Mopar including front suspension and steering rebuild). Well, I have the seller turn the wheel while I look at the steering box, well the box is loose and I can see some of the bolts hanging out and the box rocking back and forth.. I still haven't ruled the car out, but he claims to have had the car for 5 years, but knows nothing about it and claims everything but the water pump and fuel pump was done by previous owner and just wants to sell the car for school and a car that gets better mileage.. (The overly rich 650 CFM Edelbrock must not be a mileage king)..

Any thoughts? I should probably look for a late model car, but she wants her own hot rod!!

Welcome to FABO, glad to have you aboard.
There's lots of good cars out there, keep looking!

Welcome!! your in the land of fairly cheap rust free cars-- you should be able to find that --time is your friend, good luck.

Very cool your 16 YO wants an older car ,Lawrence

Welcome to the site and I say keep looking . You'll find something for her .

I don't want to be negative, but everything down south (florida) @ 5000$ is pretty ruff. Just today checked out a 71 charger , gutted and roller , sign said 5500$ FIRM may I add rusty & missing all the front end . For $10000 to $15000 you can get a nice car here. Just keep searching if in no hurry that gem will appear.

Good Luck on your search, sometimes deals can be had. Any interest in shipping a car from out of the CA area? I'm looking to move the car in my signature. PM me if interested.

Welcome you guys! I agree with "VDART", you'll eventually find something nice out West...

Now, that car actually has a lot going for it! Its a /6, good mileage, can't get into too much trouble! It has disc brakes, nice stopping power! Its a Duster, which girls seem to like so she'll probably enjoy driving! It looks solid and clean, not all hacked up, and its not overpriced!! I say let the young un decide if she likes the look of it and make an offer if she does!!

I was going to mention the early A body cars because they are light, easy to drive, and very affordable! This car however looks like it might be right up her alley!!

Here's a pic of my wife's car! She really likes the way it drives, it fits her well and its fast!! She claims its too hot and noisy though, guess I overdid it with the drivetrain, but that is also a vote for your daughter! The /6 in that duster might be just right! I say go for it!! Geof

Attachments

• image.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 214
Nice... I had a sweet 65 Valiant that I sold and have been kicking my self ever since!!!

1924341_10204156938860740_3191536373829059757_n.jpg

Sometimes you have to be careful which car you think is best and which car a girl/ woman likes best!! I personally like that little valiant of yours, but ill bet your daughter would rather have a Duster or something that looks a little more...shall we say "modern"!!

Again, I say let her decide on the body style that she would be happy with! Pass as many pics of different cars before her, take her to a cruise in or 2 and ask for her opinion of cars she sees in person and act on that! Color and body style are probably going to be very important to her, as she is a teenager after all!!

Good luck and happy hunting, sounds like you have a great family there!! Enjoy!! Geof

If I ever find another 64 - 66 Valiant like my old one, I am jumping on it.. FOR ME...

It look's good in the picture . Good luck ! By the way , do you know what gen Darts your daughter likes the best ?

It look's good in the picture . Good luck ! By the way , do you know what gen Darts your daughter likes the best ?
She likes my Charger, but she likes all the A bodies, except the 67 to 69 Valiant... Me, not a fan of 63 to 66 Darts

Got blown out by the guy... Damn it!!!

Wish I had taken pictures of my old cars!!

Here is my Charger in 1980, when my Brother and Sister owned it.

Attachments

• 1980 Charger.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 137
Looks like the one I bought my daughter but parchment with a tan velour interior. Figured with the 6 could not get into trouble, one owner. She wanted to paint it metallic dark blue and leave the interior, she now drives a Saturn, the car is now mine. Good luck with it!

-
Back