Looking for battery recommendations.

-

Riddler

Project EH-Body
Reaction score
I've got a 34/78 Optima red top that seems to discharge whether it's hooked to the car or not. Before I decide to just replace it with another red top.

Has to be a sealed type as it's in my trunk. Dimensions are a plus since I have an existing battery tray.

Thanks,

Riddler

Costco has great prices on their batteries and they have lasted the longest of any other battery I've owned.

Some one else was just looking for ideas on a battery for their car and I suggested buying a MOPAR battery from his local CHRYSLER dealership, he did and he was very happy with the suggestion. I have a MOPAR battery in both the Barracuda and the Scamp and I am very happy with them also. Not very expensive either.
Bob

Problem is Mopar batteries are lead acid batteries and I need an AGM type that is sealed since it's in my trunk. I need to stay legal.

Riddler

If you could vent the battery, I would say get the Motorcraft MAXX battery. They come with TEN YEARS worth of warranty. 3 year free replacement, then pro rated for seven years. What's more, if it goes bad during the pro rate period, the warranty starts all over on the new one. At least that't he O'Reilly warranty. We sell probably 6-10 of the group 65 Motorcrafts a month.

I've got six Optima red tops, the oldest is over 7 years old. Never had an issue with any of them. Ever. I've even killed the oldest one a few times due to my own mistakes, never had an issue charging it back to full. Even had a 6v red top in our '55 coronet, that car would sit for long periods of time and I never had a problem with that battery.

I'm going to charge it up once again and see. I had it at 12.8v but now the shop says its dead. Of course he tried to charge it with a standard charger so I'm sure he fried it.

I'll try to charge it again and see how it goes. But it does have a drain within it.

Riddler

I'm going to charge it up once again and see. I had it at 12.8v but now the shop says its dead. Of course he tried to charge it with a standard charger so I'm sure he fried it.

I'll try to charge it again and see how it goes. But it does have a drain within it.

Riddler

I have charged mine a few times with a standard charger. She lived.
Oh I should say never higher than on the 10Amp setting, mostly on 2 to 5a

Optima has gone to crap lately. They used to be tippy top notch, but now I run interstate batteries.

Optima has gone to crap lately. They used to be tippy top notch, but now I run interstate batteries.

Interstate batteries are made by Johnson Controls, which makes 65% of the car, truck, and marine batteries
in the US. They also make batteries for Walmart, and Autozone. They use to make Kirkland batteries for Costco, which now sells Interstate batteries. For the price, and their return/exchange policy, an Interstate battery from Costco is hard to beat.

Sorry Riddler, this doesn't really help you, since you need an AGM battery.
I had one of those reproduction AGM batteries. Was heavy as heck, lasted about 5 years.
Was very expensive.

Last edited:
Johnson Controls also makes the Super Start batteries for O'Reilly as well.

Was rackin my brain to come up with the second company that makes batteries for O'Reilly. It's East Penn. They make some good batteries. Including the AGM style. O'Reilly has the AGM style in the Super Start brand as well made by East Penn.

East Penn Manufacturing – The world's largest single site, family-owned lead-acid battery manufacturer

Interstate batteries are made by Johnson Controls, which makes 65% of the car, truck, and marine batteries
in the US. They also make batteries for Walmart, and Autozone. They use to make Kirkland batteries for Costco, which now sells Interstate batteries. For the price, and their return/exchange policy, an Interstate battery from Costco is hard to beat.

Sorry Riddler, this doesn't really help you, since you need an AGM battery.
I had one of those reproduction AGM batteries. Was heavy as heck, lasted about 5 years.
Was very expensive.

Last edited:

Optima moved its factory years ago, which is when folks say the quality suffered. All of my battery's are from their current factory, and the newest is about a year old. Like I said, no issues.

Hey...Look who makes Optima batteries. None other than, Johnson Controls.
These guys are everywhere.

Is a sealed battery mandatory for nhra??? Haven't been to the strip in awhile but they never said anything about my. Big monster battery in the trunk of the dart.

Is a sealed battery mandatory for nhra??? Haven't been to the strip in awhile but they never said anything about my. Big monster battery in the trunk of the dart.

I don't think its mandatory, if I recall correctly you can run a standard battery IF the battery box and trunk is vented, or if the battery box are vented and there's a metal firewall that separates the trunk from the passenger compartment. But I'm not an NHRA rules expert and its been awhile since I looked all that stuff up (when I did my battery relocation a couple years back).

-
Back