Looking For Custom Dash Guages,ideas

-

MR.7DUSTER3

His money, My time
Reaction score
My Son And I Are Looking For Some Ideas On Replacing The Dash Guages On His 73 Duster,we Were Thinking Of Getting An Old Beat Up Instrument Panel And Replacing All Of The Guages With New Ones Placed In An Aluminum Panel. What Do You Think? Any Body Done Any Custom Dash/instrument Panel ?

Thanks, Bob/bryce

Tackle it yourself!

DASH8-vi.jpg

I stripped the factory chrome off, masked & painted the entire dash with semi-flat black spray paint, than masked and sprayed the duplicolor chrome. I had photo-reversed the dash gauges and made new faces (which are NOW commercially availible for $20.... Grrr! ) and trimmed the lower section with faux carbon fiber material. I also replaced the dead factory clock with a VDO quartz unit with the stock gauge face.

Total cost was:
$22 for the VDO gauge
$11 for Castrol Super Clean degreaser which is also an excellant chrome stripper when alowed to soak.
$20 in spray paint
$20 for the roll of carbon fiber from e-Bay
$10 for the Office Max photographing of the dash gauges

And of course, labor, which took me about 2 weeks of lunch hours and sitting in front of the TV polishing dash lenses and details....
DASH6-vi.jpg

Yeah.... I lost the radio. Flowmasters are music too ya know....

DASH8-vi.jpg

DASH6-vi.jpg

I used a solid peice of Oak, and inset all electric guages, but kept original
wiper and headlight switch.. dash is set up for modern stereo and future
a/c conversion. All hooked up with a Ron Francis wiring Kit

DSC02814.JPG

Here is what I am doing to the dash on my 73 Dart Sport. The 3 smaller gauges are from Wal-mart. I could not find the gas gauge in the same size so I went with the smallest that I could find.

dashf.jpg

FASTBACK340 said:
Tackle it yourself!

DASH8-vi.jpg

I stripped the factory chrome off, masked & painted the entire dash with semi-flat black spray paint, than masked and sprayed the duplicolor chrome. I had photo-reversed the dash gauges and made new faces (which are NOW commercially availible for $20.... Grrr! ) and trimmed the lower section with faux carbon fiber material. I also replaced the dead factory clock with a VDO quartz unit with the stock gauge face.

Total cost was:
$22 for the VDO gauge
$11 for Castrol Super Clean degreaser which is also an excellant chrome stripper when alowed to soak.
$20 in spray paint

And of course, labor, which took me about 2 weeks of lunch hours and sitting in front of the TV polishing dash lenses and details....
DASH6-vi.jpg

MUST DO THAT :thumbup: that is about the same look i was gonna go for, and i love the white faces, any sugestions on repairing old guages my oil, temp, and volts doesnt work. and id liek to use the stock ones, but they are very inaccurate. thanks for the tips

also that degreaser doesnt harm the plastic..thanks for the tips, hell now i can do something on the cuda besides sit and be depressed i cant work on it :lol:

hm well today i decided to pull the dash on the cuda...man its cold outside :lol: thanks for the motivation John.

but unfortunately things get old and while i was pulling the 'revolver' plug one of the wires stuck on the pins, and it got pulled out, i tried to avoid it but it ended up breaking :(:( how can i fix this, could i soder(sp?) it back on, :(

0225071647ce4.jpg

sorry bout the huge pic

66 wagon,
That sucks, BUT

The pin is fixable.... not easy but fixable..

I would..
1. fill the little hole in the board with solder
2. solder a piece of something (paper clip) into the hole (for strength)
3. then place the old hollow round pin over the paper clip piece.
4. then solder the base of the hollow pin.

Should be stronger than the other pins

OR find and old cluster and canibalize it...

but the first solution is for people like me ....more time than money :toothy7:
my .02

FASTBACK340 said:
Tackle it yourself!

DASH8-vi.jpg

where can I buy the replacment white guages?

Total cost was:
$22 for the VDO gauge
$20 in spray paint

DASH6-vi.jpg

where can I buy the replacment white guages?

-
Back