Looking for help in NJ

Mid Atlantic

1. Jerseystrong

Jerseystrong New Member

Local Time:
    7:35 PM
    Hi guys,

This is my first post to this forum and am looking for some friendly suggestions or help from people located in NJ. I recently purchased a 1965 Coronet 440 with a 273 in it. The motor is in desperate need of work. I suspect its only firing on 2 4 6 8. I did a compression test and got low compression on 1,3,5,7. I suspect that the head gasket may be bad. I also pulled the pan...found some metal it also looks like the valve seals deteriorated and clogged the oil pick up. The motor is pretty much done. Now, I need help either finding a member or shop that rebuilds motors or will install a used one. Unfortunately I am on a limited budget. $1500 is what I have. If you guys don't think it can be done, I will just cut my loss and sell the car as is. I live in the Central NJ area. All advise or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2. Jerseystrong

Jerseystrong New Member

Local Time:
    7:35 PM
  3. 67Dart273

67Dart273 FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    4:35 PM
    That seems like a lot of money for a used engine / trans with questionable miles and condition.

The other issues you have is "what is" that 318 out of? If it's out of a truck or motorhome, you'll have to swap your 273 oil pan and oil pickup or find a "car" 318 pan. You'll have to transfer your 273 engine brackets, and possibly the manifolds, again, depending on what the 318 came out of.

If you use / don't use your original transmission, other troubles.

I believe the original 65 trans is cable shift, and the one advertised surely is not The CL might be a 727 or a 904, so the kickdown might be different.

Also, early engines had a much smaller torque converter snout than later models

In other words, if you can't find someone who is knowledgable, this could be a problem

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.