Looking for help w/ 7 1/4 rear end

-

deyo21

Reaction score
Hello,
I the process of rebuliding a 71/4 rear end for my 1970 dart. Went through the carrier setup. Machined new shims. Wondering if anyone knows where to look for a Spreader Tool C- 3721. I made one out of 1/8th wall square tubing. I could only get .007 spread before it bent the tubing. Or if there are any tricks?
Thanks,
Jason

Hello Agian,
I noticed a number of people have looked at this, but nobody has replied. New question would anyone be interested in this tool if I was to make it out os solid stock, just like the Mopar one?

I think the main problem is not to many people are rebuilding 7.25" rears.

undo the axel holding plate on the axel flange.

Then what?
I have done that and still can not get the axles out. I tried using a big slide hammer also.
I have 2.76 rear in the duster & got another 7 1/4 for free with a 3.23 in it.
It's a small bolt pattern & I'd like to pull the center section & stick it in my current to replace the 2.76 ......

youll spend more fixing a 7 1/4 then buying another one. theres guys on this forum giving them away. 7 1/4s are pretty much junk. if you want to spend money buy a 8 1/4.

I'm trying NOT to spend money , hence the other "free rear with 3.23 gears".

thanks anyway's I guess.

That slide hammer should be doing it(removing it). sometimes the bearing get rusted in place.

I just had to replace a wheel bearing on my 7-1/4" a few weeks ago. I tried the slide hammer for a while and it wasn't budging. I then tried it again, really applying some force (wailing on it) this time, and it finally started to come out. I was afraid I might have damaged the axle flange, but it looked okay. The bearing had been in there so long, and was dry so it was just kinda frozen in there. After cleaning up the inside opening with a 3M pad, and smearing a little black moly grease around the outside of the new bearing, it slid back in quite easily.

One gave me a hard time. I finally bolted on an old wheel and drove it out with a sledge hammer. This post probably doesn't help if you dont have the car lifted overhead. Good luck

I think the main problem is not to many people are rebuilding 7.25" rears.

that's y i looked...was in awe that someone would spend the $$$ to rebuild a 7 1/4....an 8 1/4 i could see... but never heard of such a thing////lol

-
Back