Looking for info on an auto to manual console conversion

-

69DartMatt

Reaction score
I picked up this very nice (nothing broke) automatic console today with intents to convert it to a manual console for a 4 speed setup. I have a few questions.

1) has anyone done it that can give tips or tricks they did
2) is there any mods that would have to be done other than finding or buying new the top piece for the shifter to go through?
2) it has a very small blemish where it looks like something may have grinded into the side about the size of a quarter a little. Is there a way to build it back up and how would I go about getting the texture/grain back?

IMG_8237.JPG
IMG_8238.JPG

Last edited:
I was going to do the same. I think you have to buy an adapter to move the whole clutch handle over. and then have a small cut out on the driver side. I was then going to cut the top of mine and then add a square boot cover over it with a chrome trim around the boot to finish it off. if that makes sense..

If you do a search I started a thread with measurements of my factory 4spd console. Its either in auto or standard forums.

When I converted my car from auto to 4 speed,all I did was switch the top plate to a 4 speed top plate.I did a ton of research on this and the only reason we could figure out as to why the 4 speed cars had the cut out on the side of the console was so the dealer could service the shifter when these cars were knew.

When I converted my car from auto to 4 speed,all I did was switch the top plate to a 4 speed top plate.I did a ton of research on this and the only reason we could figure out as to why the 4 speed cars had the cut out on the side of the console was so the dealer could service the shifter when these cars were knew.
So you dont need a cut out then?

Shifter bracket and floor hump is the same with or without a console.
Shifter handle is different/offset to come out of the console which is centered over driveshaft tunnel.

-
Back