Looking for input on 68 dart motor/header direction

-

gdbuick

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm new to the dart world and have been researching this board a lot lately. I currently have a father /son driver consisting of a pretty much stock 383 auto/ 3000 stall 727,391 8 3/4, manual steering. This was a factory 6 cylinder car, besides the rear suspension springs moved in, frame connectors the front suspension is stock with the exception of 73 front disc brake setup. It's getting mini tubbed this winter. If we can't reuse the shortened B - body rear end it came with I will likely just go with a dana because of future manual transmission possibility/abuse.

The plan is to build up either a 383 or 440 targeting around 500 hp (plus /minus 50) on pump gas, stroker ok if needed w/ aluminum heads 80% street and 20% drags. I'm really leaning heavily towards installing a 5/6 speed manual trans setup from the article I saw on hotrod.com about a 69 dart using American Powertrain.

I have a few questions based on my future plans and not wanting to spend money twice on same parts/areas of the car. The engine will likely be built next winter but I would like to get the rest of the car sorted out in the mean time (fuel system/cooling/electrical). I'm not against changing out a few front suspension pieces if needed, ie coil overs if getting rid off the torsion bars just makes everything easier. I really don't want to do the whole Alterkation type mods unless needed.

1> For my plan is the 383 ok or should I go with the 440 from the start? I'm looking around now for blocks.
2> I have exhaust manifolds now and really need a full exhaust including headers. Based on possible manual trans later which 383/440 headers should I buy now for my HP levels that would bolt up to my existing 383 motor? I see using 440 source or edelbrock heads for my needs.
3> I'm also in need of a starter now. I'm a little confused as it appears manual transmission/headers may come into play with choosing a mini starter? Perhaps I miss read that part. Which mini starter should I buy now that will work with the headers I need from line 2 above?

Thank you for the inputs.

Greg

383 with a stroker, 440 source crank kit and a set of aluminum heads and a rpm intake and step headers and you should be past that 500 hp mark. Thanks Webby

There is a article on page 2 or 3, 383 - 438 he ran a 3.75 stroke, if I was going to buy a crank kit I would go a little bigger. Thanks Webby.

-
Back