Status
Not open for further replies.

Rehsplace

drove it first in 1987
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
Looking for 70's 4spd aluminum overdrive transmission. sometimes called a A/F transmission and XX833 model number. located in burbs of Chicago.

They are used to make Aluminum Hemi 18 spline 4 speeds. That with the side cover from a OD truck you have a complete aluminum 4 speed. They are selling for more then an 833. What are you looking to spend on them I have three here right now.
I am looking for the NP833 used in the mid 70's cars trucks

Last edited:
I've had a few aluminum truck units such as the original one in my 79 van and have another one now.
Cast versa iron case is an early/late thing

I've had a few aluminum truck units such as the original one in my 79 van and have another one now.
Cast versa iron case is an early/late thing
send pics please and close up of the case number and it should have a small stamping of the trans number (not the casting numbers)

Like this ?

20211110_060626.jpg

The A/F body unit has a short A body tail housing with one shifter pad.
The truck/van unit has a long B/E housing with 2 shifter pads.

Qs for ya, if I was to put my OD unit behind my 383 in my 69 Roadrunner. What would the outcome be?
Loss of power for better highway ?
Or should I stick with cast iron tranz

Lower first gear and a .73 O/D in 4th gear. But you have to flip the first lever from up to down. You might have to fab a 3-4 shift rod.

For me I am done with trying to mash gears and drag my 340 up to 7000rpm. I just want to get on the highway and cruise my Dart at 70-75mph and still have some low end. I have a mild 340 with 484/284 M cam, aluminum heads, RPM manifold, fuel injected factory 4spd car. swapped the 4.10 to a 3.23 and at 2800rpm I'm doing 63 mph, I run 275/50/15's. Yes a 3.55 gear would be great with this set up and cruising the hood but I want to actually put some miles on it. Now the modern 5spds can fix this but I am not will to cut out a 4spd tunnel to replace it with an auto tunnel so I can put a hole in the floor for the modern shifter. GearVendors option; I am not interested in a tail shaft swap along with shimming the trans angle down to clear floorboards and beat room in the tunnel for the unit. So for me and my wishes for the car I have owned for 23 years I am willing to try a OD 833 and see how it goes down the road. IMO, the biggest mistake people make when playing with their car is not being realistic to what they plan to do with it.

I cleaned up this thread. If you don't have a transmission for the OP do not bother responding to this thread. He can do his homework and buy what he wants.

For me I am done with trying to mash gears and drag my 340 up to 7000rpm. I just want to get on the highway and cruise my Dart at 70-75mph and still have some low end. I have a mild 340 with 484/284 M cam, aluminum heads, RPM manifold, fuel injected factory 4spd car. swapped the 4.10 to a 3.23 and at 2800rpm I'm doing 63 mph, I run 275/50/15's. Yes a 3.55 gear would be great with this set up and cruising the hood but I want to actually put some miles on it. Now the modern 5spds can fix this but I am not will to cut out a 4spd tunnel to replace it with an auto tunnel so I can put a hole in the floor for the modern shifter. GearVendors option; I am not interested in a tail shaft swap along with shimming the trans angle down to clear floorboards and beat room in the tunnel for the unit. So for me and my wishes for the car I have owned for 23 years I am willing to try a OD 833 and see how it goes down the road. IMO, the biggest mistake people make when playing with their car is not being realistic to what they plan to do with it.

Sounds like you should have an A body O/D. Or did you swap a B or E body 4 speed into your Dart? I have an extra A Body O/D with a swapped standard main housing and 30 spline output shaft that will replace an A Body 4 speed. It may be all cast iron though. I'd have to check. All you would need is a O/D 3-4 lever and rod. I reached the same conclusions you did years ago. It worked great behind a 273, should work even better with what you have.

Last edited:
Sounds like you should have an A body O/D. Or did you swap a B or E body 4 speed into your Dart? I have an extra A Body O/D with a swapped standard main housing and 30 spline output shaft that will replace an A Body 4 speed. It may be all cast iron though. I'd have to check. All you would need is a O/D 3-4 lever and rod. I reached the same conclusions you did years ago. It worked great behind a 273, should work even better with what you have.
no swap still running the A body A833. if you could grab me info of the case that would be great. let me know how much you are looking for also.

Verified 30 spline output, and small front bearing retainer bolt pattern, and cast iron main housing, tailshaft housing, and side cover.

P1010002.JPG

P1010003.JPG
P1010004.JPG

P1010005.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back