Looking for some help with a mild 360 I bought

-

Canyon

Reaction score
I got a steal of a deal on a 360 short block with j heads. It has a summit cam, SUM-6900, it's setup for around 9.2:1 compression. Now my question is for that cam what would be the ideal Springs to run and sorry if this is a dumb question to ask but with stock rocker arms will I need any different push rods? Any input is helpful and I appreciate it a ton if you need any more info from me let me know! Sorry for the ignorance but thank you!

Welcome, and don't apologize for what you don't know. You could run the 360 springs with that cam, or you could buy the Edelbrock's from summit for 48.00 bucks (forget the part number off hand). I like the Edelbrock springs because they work with the factory retainers/keepers. They are about like a factory 340 spring. Push rods should be ok and so should the stock rockers. Sounds like your about to have fun :)

Comp 901-16 springs need comp retainers and keepers. Stock retainers give that spring tons of side play movement

Welcome, and don't apologize for what you don't know. You could run the 360 springs with that cam, or you could buy the Edelbrock's from summit for 48.00 bucks (forget the part number off hand). I like the Edelbrock springs because they work with the factory retainers/keepers. They are about like a factory 340 spring. Push rods should be ok and so should the stock rockers. Sounds like your about to have fun :)

I appreciate the help like always 318! It should be a big upgrade to the stock motor with a **** ton of blow by! Those Springs use the stock retainers as well?

Answer to your question, yes, stock retainers work with the eddy springs. There are other brands, too. But wait!! What's this about blow by??????

Answer to your question, yes, stock retainers work with the eddy springs. There are other brands, too. But wait!! What's this about blow by??????

The motor in my dart now is just beat the guy I bought it from sold it up a big lol had a dead cylinder and the Rings on it are getting really rough, but the one the springs will be for is fresh!

Ahhhh..... gotcha! thought you meant the 360 you were installing......

wow....and i got about 10k miles on those springs ...retainers and locks...

Ahhhh..... gotcha! thought you meant the 360 you were installing......

Haha no, sadly the mistakes we make when we're 17 but one things for sure if I ever buy a used motor again I'll be pulling the valve covers as well as making sure it turns over :BangHead:

that's good to know. I've personally never bought those springs, but they are recommended alot here. I have heard quite a bit that the factory retainers were too small.... to error on the side of safety and buy new retainers. I generally have used the MP springs and had great luck. I used the eddy's for the 1st time on my 318. Hard to beat the price and the fitment was really impressive, if one is looking for a 340 spring replacement or mild build.

I tried using the stock retainers on my 901's and the retainers would let the springs touch the stock rocker arms. With the comp retainers, the springs did not touch. Just my experience...

Stock retainers with the trick flow 901s didn't work for me either, very sloppy inside the spring. Had to get the comp retainers.

-
Back