Looking for someone to rebuild my front end.

-

Caddguy

Reaction score
Hi all!!!

The front end of my 74 Swinger needs to be rebuilt soon. I took it to Les Schwab and they gave me a quote of $830.00 which sounded fair to me. After thinking about it I decided that if I can find someone who needs the work or a small shop I would rather have them do it. I have nothing against Les Schwab and they have always treated me well but there are a lot of people with skills that are struggling to make ends meet and if I can help just one of them then why the heck not.
What Im looking for is someone in the Woodinville/Everett/Lynnwood WA area that could do my front end and if things work out then I would also need some other things done as I have the money (Next is to fix a trans leak). Im not looking for cheap just a good mechanic that I can trust and keep going back to.
If anyone knows someone then please let me know.

Thanks,

Edward

Too bad you're not closer, but if you decide to go the Les route find out what parts they are using because that sounds REALLY cheap or they haven't really priced out the parts or it's not a complete rebuild. I did a 69 Road Runner last year and parts alose were over $500 retail (Raybestos chassis,formerly Spicer chassis, which I did not mark up) and I made $400 on the deal (that included hot tanking and bead blasting all parts).

Hi all!!!

The front end of my 74 Swinger needs to be rebuilt soon. I took it to Les Schwab and they gave me a quote of $830.00 which sounded fair to me. After thinking about it I decided that if I can find someone who needs the work or a small shop I would rather have them do it. I have nothing against Les Schwab and they have always treated me well but there are a lot of people with skills that are struggling to make ends meet and if I can help just one of them then why the heck not.
What Im looking for is someone in the Woodinville/Everett/Lynnwood WA area that could do my front end and if things work out then I would also need some other things done as I have the money (Next is to fix a trans leak). Im not looking for cheap just a good mechanic that I can trust and keep going back to.
If anyone knows someone then please let me know.

Thanks,

Edward

JMO, why not pull it apart yourself and just have the shops do the bushings?

I did mine just a little bit ago and it was my first time ever taking a torsion bar suspension apart. Its pretty easy to assemble/disassemble and the only pita are the bushings and you kind of need a few decent hammers for the old/worn corroded parts.(3lb sledge and big deadblow hammer were my go-to's)

And i'm certainly not a professional. Prior to this car i had only done basic tune-ups.

If I was closer, I'd definitely come over and help....But I do have the right tools to install your upper and lower control arm bushings, and upper ball joints. I can clean, sandblast and paint most of your parts. But I do live in the bay area California. You'd have to send them to me in a flat rate box, I could have them done ready to go in a weekend, and send right them back to you looking brand new...

I have thought about trying it myself but there are a couple of issues keeping me from diving in. The first is that this car is my dd and I cant be with out it for longer then a day or two. If something went south on me while I had it tore apart and I did not know how to fix it I would be in a huge bind. The second is that I don't have the space at my place to leave a car and its parts laying all over the place as I teach myself how to do what needs to be done. If it was not for those two issues then I would have a blast tearing into it and seeing if I could do it. With this being said if anyone wants to earn a little side cash for a days worth of work please let me know. If not I will just end up taking it to ES and having them do it.
Thanks guys,

Edward

I have thought about trying it myself but there are a couple of issues keeping me from diving in. The first is that this car is my dd and I cant be with out it for longer then a day or two. If something went south on me while I had it tore apart and I did not know how to fix it I would be in a huge bind. The second is that I don't have the space at my place to leave a car and its parts laying all over the place as I teach myself how to do what needs to be done. If it was not for those two issues then I would have a blast tearing into it and seeing if I could do it. With this being said if anyone wants to earn a little side cash for a days worth of work please let me know. If not I will just end up taking it to ES and having them do it.
Thanks guys,

Edward

yeah scratch that idea then. I took me close to 10 days if you include the annoying hiccups caused both by me and a nameless shop.

-
Back