Looking for suggestions on quarter panel repair

-

chachi

Reaction score
Hello..

I just want to let everyone know that i am new to the restoration world and quite new to mopars in general.

I was hoping to post a picture and get feedback on what to do..

I picked up a 68 dart not too long ago and was doing mechanical repairs. I am now switching to body repairs and came across something today that really made me shake my head. I'm not a body man...but the thing i discovered today made me realize that neither was the previous owner.

I started on the rear quarter panel because i noticed some cracking and figured i need to get to the bottom of it. As i sanded off the paint i discovered more and more....

There is a large hole at the very back of the quarter panel. The guy stuffed about a pound of bondo in there, then put cardboard on top, then put more bondo on top of the cardboard. I read the cardboard and it was actually from the bondo box!! Not only that but within the quarter panel i found a mixture of rocks (yes rocks) and screws (yes screws). It took me some time to get all of it out of there.

Anyways, i'm looking for suggestions on how to fix (i am on a budget and can't break the bank to fix) I've emailed some body shops and they came back with 1) Use bondo with a zinc backing plate: but do it right this time 2) fiberglass 3) full panel replacement 4) Filler called Metal to Metal used with Aluminum tape (?)

I know i won't be using cardboard but was looking for feedback.

This is my weekend car for fun and cruising and i'm not looking to have it at a show n' shine or car show.

Thanks in advance everyone!!

CIMG0054.jpg

CIMG0055.jpg

CIMG0056.jpg

Thats an easy enough fix,cut the rust out....get it squared up to a good size that clears all the rust and cut a cimetrical hole in the quarter......you can do the same to the trunk extension behind the quarter if you would like but if you want it to just look cosmetically good from out side,then just do the quarter....anyhow,find a good chunk of sheet metal....lots of home for sale signs around you could get that are about the right thickness.....cut it to fit,tack it in place in the hole you cut out and then go through with your weld beads,grind the welds,do a finish coat of bondo to smooth it off.....people get scared when they here bondo but even a $30,000.00 car will have SOME bondo in it.......now yes,a gallon of bondo is no good,but for minor imperfections or for finishing work,thats fine....good luck!

Thanks for the feedback! Like the idea of a for sale sign!

your welcome,thats what I used....found a for sale sign from the realistate company down in my basement....made of metal, not to thick,not to thin,just right......ground all the paint off it and cut it to size and started welding. good luck! keep us all posted

Thanks.....I went to my local metal supplier and seen what they were getting for sheet metal and not 2 seconds later I was walking right back out the door trying to think of a better ( CHEAPER ) way lol...then a light bulb went off and I remembered my 3x3 for sale sign in the basement...enough to do a couple quarter panel patch's,a couple floor pan patchs and enough to repair my tail light panel if i want to...and all for free! lol:cheers:

chachi, looks like you've got a nice project car, too bad about the curious repair. First of all do you own a mig welder and have you done metal fabrication before? DusterDude72 is right about the process, cut out and replace. I'm in the middle of doing lower rear quarter patches as well on my Duster but it was only lightly perforated and all the perimeter is still solid. The hole in yours looks very close to the edge as well as the lower trunk extensions look pretty rotted so you'll have less to attach to. I didn't check into quarter patch panels for mine but if you haven't done a lot of metal fabrication then it might cost you less in the long run since the contours are all there and are easy to install. I just put some in a Mustang I'm doing and they were very inexpensive and made a lot nicer job, for Mopars might be more expensive so do some research first. Just my opnion but there's more than one way to skin a cat (what would you do with a cat skin anyhow?) Kev

kanders is also right....if theres to much rot,you may just want to get a patch panel....wich is pretty expensive for mopars...I tihkn I priced out lower duster rear quarter panel patch's at around $180.00 without tax or shipping. so its not the cheapest route,all depends on how much money you want to spend and how much work your willing to do. if you would rather,take the sheetmetal you plan on putting in plaze of the rusted area....do this step prior to cutting by the way.......grind a couple spots in the body so its clean metal underneath....hang a piece of sheet metal up so it covers the entire rusted area.....tack weld it in a few spots so that it will not go anywhere.......then take a body hammer and some people find a propane or map gas torch helps....but its not a must.....tap the metal over and over until you form the contours you need the sheet metal to be shaped to.....get the shape you need at the lower end where the lower quarter kind of folds in at the bottom. as for your wheel wells, if they have rust....just cut an overhanging flap on the side of your patch panel and take tin snips and cut a bunch of slices in them and when you fold them over,they will form the contour of your wheel well. you can then grind off your spot weld,pull your sheet metal off,trim it up to match what ever the measurements you plan on cutting out of the quarter panel itself,then place your new piece of tin up inplace and it will already be form fitten and contoured to the body panels....minore imperfections and low / high spots are ok,you can always give it a couple more taps with a hammer and smooth it out and don't forget you will still need to do body filler anyways to smooth it all out....judging by the pictures, it wouldnt be a bad one to do...just take your time ( MEASURE TWICE, CUT ONCE ) rule of thumb lol. you will get it!!!

Your best bet if you are new to body work is to find a buddy at work or through a friend with some experience that can help you. A cold 12 pack usually helps. That is a nice car and you can do more damage than good real fast. You can warp a panel pretty fast with a welder. Ask me how I know.

-
Back