Looking for tips/procedures used for polishing inner and outer sill plates

-

prorac1

Reaction score
We’re getting ready to install Jason’s carpet in the valiant project, and need to clean up the sill plates.

As the pictures show, they aren’t in bad shape at all, just a little oxidized.

Just wondering what products and procedures everyone’s using to clean these. Thanks. Eric.

C478F0EC-B512-411A-B3F9-FFEABC97381C.jpeg
DEE59D6E-728B-4170-97A3-4309D3FFD20C.jpeg

When polishing aluminum trim go extremely light pressure. Aluminum is one of those parts that will wear down edges and corners quite easy. They polish up quite nice but need a light touch to keep the detail.

Some people I’ve used for aluminum trim detailing actually spray a light acid on the trim to cut the oxidation first. This acid is the same stuff truckers use to keep their bright work- well “bright.” Over the road trucking destroys the aluminum. Only down fall is it turns the aluminum a white color. But hand polish from there with “never dull” or Mothers. I prefer never dull. Once polished and clean, I’ve used a good automotive clear over the top to keep the shine. The acid strips all protective coatings off. That is IF you go that route.

Tried to polish my originals, but they didn't cooperate at all. I purchased new sills from @Rick@Laysons for around $60 I think.

Really nice & look SO much better! :)

Tried to polish my originals, but they didn't cooperate at all. I purchased new sills from @Rick@Laysons for around $60 I think.

Really nice & look SO much better! :)

X2 Mine were dented and polish just shines up the defects. (too many times closing the door with the seat belt in the way I bet)

70 Swinger 004.jpg

Having the tool for the job is the first step. This maybe an overkill for most, but it is built to last, a HF motor...buff wheel from eBay and some scrape metal for a stand. Buffing compound, in stick form, many different cuts to choose from.

IMG_3415.JPG

Having the tool for the job is the first step. This maybe an overkill for most, but it is built to last, a HF motor...buff wheel from eBay and some scrape metal for a stand. Buffing compound, in stick form, many different cuts to choose from.

View attachment 1715295213

That is a great idea Dicer. Maybe adding a rheostat motor control to control the rotation speed. Super idea!
Where did you get the shaft adapter?

Well...the adapter I made is when I had access to a metal lathe the last job I work at. Brass is what it is made off, easy to work with rather then steel. You can find adapters online such as eBay but most that I seen really fall short of quality. Many where too short, not having the length to use the full motor shaft, and using spacers to compensate different wheel diameter. The motor is rated at 1725 RPM and it uses a "Rex Cloth Wheel"......

IMG_3416.JPG

I use the small round can of mother aluminum polish for that type of thing

Between some wet sanding, scotchbrite, acidizing, and about 3 different polishing compounds, we got the sill plates polished.

They turned out pretty darn good for as rough as they were when we started.

Thank you again everybody for the tips.

453DD7D9-7922-4768-87AE-EA846B9249B3.jpeg
4F9EF7A1-71BB-453F-A7E2-B2DC96D7FB67.jpeg
C1ADA591-B43F-4DDB-9075-1D447CC6BBC2.jpeg
75A0EF5A-07F7-4700-8955-722ADD31E672.jpeg

3681F323-B3FF-47FA-9B31-51376A0825FA.jpeg

Those look great! Now you have to tell us your process in detail, or risk 100's of sill plates arriving at your door for the same treatment!

0000 steel wool, nitrile gloves and about an hour a set for old original sill plates.
They clean up real nice with some effort.
IMG_20180509_172420705.jpg

-
Back