Looking for your .02 cents on this combo...

-

Woodie

Take-off EH!
Reaction score
Here's the deal....
I pulled the intake off my 340 last week only to find the expected. #6 intake lobe was ground to a pulp! I pulled the heads off and then pulled the engine, turns out some "Bananna-Head" installed the valves with his eyes closed. The stem hights were all over the map. I sent the heads out to have them redone. Got them back all freshend up and ready to go with new springs locks and retainers 1.660/120# found the grind I like from Lunati pn#60404 So needless to say after all that I get a call from a friend, he has 426 stoker all fresh'ned up with the dyno sheet in his hand, look'n to sell me because he is going to build a W9 headed monster. The 426ci made 528ft pounds @4800rmp! and close to 500hp! complete with TTi headers for under 6000k I called Dynamic converters and they will build me a verter for $600.00 Should I stroke the Scamp for daily abuse? or what? Are they reliable for a weekend warrior? I don't mind drop'n the coin. just looking for some input. Btw, Callies crank 4" eagle rods (I beams)and custom JE dished pistons @ 10:0.1 cr with fully ported "X" heads Comp's mechanical roller cam, lifters, and rockers Single plane "Victor" Air-gap with Holley "HP" 750 carb. Sounds like a 440 on crack! it was in a Demon 4-speed that went 11.00 in the quater with 28" tall tires. I am just look'n to put it behind my "built" 904 with the Dynamic 3800 stall and 3:23.1 on stock 14" ralleys.... Any comments?

25fk3s4.jpg

Sounds like a beast! Do you think your rear tires will handle that kind of power?

Sounds like a beast! Do you think your rear tires will handle that kind of power?
I doubt it, but I do plan on 15" rallyes in the next month or two. This deal just fell my way in the last few days.

Christmas came on Easter!! Got me a stroker! and something else very spceal! pics to night!

Yeah, the price is right so I'd grab it. The convertor may be all wrong and yes, you'll need tires...lol.

Comp's mechanical roller cam,

That'll be an issue for a lot of street use.

Also, the 904 will need to have been built up really strong to handle the torque.

Otherwise...I'm Jealous! :)

That'll be an issue for a lot of street use.

Also, the 904 will need to have been built up really strong to handle the torque.

Otherwise...I'm Jealous! :)

What type of problem or problems would the roller set up cause? the camshaft is a solid roller custom grind.The mill made 526hp (I have the Dyno sheet) on pump gas 10:0.1cr. I am fine with checking and adjusting the lash... I will post up a video as soon as it is all together, looking at a couple weeks for Frank Lupo's delivery.

I'm no expert but solid rollers are hard on the valve train, and the lifters have a limited life span without regular servicing.

There's a thread on here somewhere about the "streetability" of solid roller cams....

Hopefully Moper of someone will chime in.....

I'm no expert but solid rollers are hard on the valve train, and the lifters have a limited life span without regular servicing.

There's a thread on here somewhere about the "streetability" of solid roller cams....

Hopefully Moper of someone will chime in.....

Well here is a bit of an update, I took the heads off to have them gone over to make sure everything is perfect. I orderd new push-rods (Found two that were slightly bent) and bronze gear as well as the bushing. I found some wear in those areas. New timing set to go in as well. I also studed the pan and rockershafts. As for the tranny.... Completely rebuilt with steel planets as well as a Trans-go shift kit, my tranny guy also installed a low ratio set of planets from a tradesman van. Should pull nice! Looks like a couple more weeks of anticipation still. Just getting set to fab up a 3" x pipe and what not....

As for the roller set up, Any input Moper?

2cngwtk.jpg

Hi Woody - got your PM...
You asked for recommendations so I'm looking at this from the point of view that I was building it.
If I was building this and the cam needed to be a solid roller it would get stripped to bare block and have lifter bushings installed. It's JMO but I won't run a solid lifter in any Mopar without bushing the block first.
Next is information - I need the flow numbers and chamber size on the heads. "Under 500hp" but a high torque figure may mean the heads are not that well ported or the cam is undersized but flow numbers will sort that out and give us a useful flow window to make use of when choosing the cam. If the heads flow well only at high lifts, then the cam has to keep the valve open taht far in order to make power. If they flow great at low and mid lifts, the cam can be made "more streetable" and still make big power. The chamber desgin tells me what sort of dead spots and detonation issues we might have.
Last is your intended use, options on the car (power brakes, A/C, ppower steering?), exhaust system details from the exh port to the bumper, your acceptible maintenance routines, and fuel type.

Thanks for the response Moper, I do not know the flow numbers on the heads. They are cast Iron "X" heads that have been ported with larger valves installed and bronze tubes for the push-rods. I will need to get some more information on chamber size and flow rates. I have the camshaft info as well (Comp Cams XR286R). The dyno sheet was also given to me as well (526 peak Hp @ 5400rpm and 548 lbs ft of Torque @ 4800rpm). I tore it down to go over it and make sure there are no surprises. everything has checked out ok up till now other than a few things already mentioned. the crank, pistons and rods are good quality. Also everything was very clean looks like very low miles. My intended use is weekend poundings, with the ocasonal cruise night. There are no options on the car, no A/C no power steering and no power brakes. I will be running TTI steped headers through a 3" "X" pipe follwed by a set of 2 chamber Flowmasters. The 904 is built fresh with good quality internals as well as lower ratio planets installed. Also had a new drive-shaft built. I would like to use the existing camshaft and related components for the time being. Converter is next on the list. I have read good things about Dynamic Converters and Frank. Any feed back is always welcome and appreciated.

I'd say have the heads flowed. I'm not terribly thrilled with the results if that was the cam used.
If you are stuck on a roller that's not a bad one to run as a street grind and you have it. But IMO the heads have a problem. So have them flowed and see what they are doing. You'll also want to know the port volume. It sounds like they were made too big, but the flow and volume will tell better.
On the convertor - The only issue I have with the southern Dynamic is they tend to lump everyone together. I've sent 3 back for them to lower the stall. You don;t need a high stall with the 4" stroke and you dont want a high stall if you're cruising more than racing. So I'd limit the stall to 2500. If you want a step up, Lenny at Ultimate would be my 1st choice but her gets paid for them.

-
Back