looking to buy my first welder

-
Flux option is nice in a windy environment if you need to weld outside. You also need to understand the flux wire your using. Some are only intended for 1 pass, or certain metal combinations. It can also more tolerant to "dirty" metal. MIG is awesome, TIG for ultimate control. I have a 110v MIG that I typically tack it all up and go to my dads shop with the big Lincoln and finish the job. The bigger machines just have more adjust ability for speed and voltage. Once you get a little welder and use it for a while you'll want a big one.
Outlet Power to the welding is another consideration. If you need the welder somewhere your gonna need an extension cored with large gauge wire. I use a 25', 10 gauge cord from McMaster-Carr. Look for a welder with a long lead too, when I did my sub frames I was was moving the welder a lot because the lead was like 6'.

I didn't see it mentioned but nobody uses Eastwood? I gave away my old Miller after using the Eastwood for awhile. Cannot beat it for the money and I can buy everything for it at the local welding shop. Only one I use anymore.

Interesting as Miller & Hobart are owned by the same company, ITW.

I bought an Eastwood 135 a couple years ago. Good little welder for the price!

you guys are like a bunch of car sales people...i tell you my budget and you show me something 2 times as much

seriously though, thanks for all the input...keep me coming

Just ordered the Eastwood mig 135 with the nice large view, auto darkening and natural color, with darkness adjustable helmet, two lens protectors and the sheepskin welding gloves AND the 25 foot heavy duty extension cord for about 500.
Beware, that size gauge of extension cables are expensive. (about 5+ bucks a foot)
I expect you have not really priced extension cords, but they are a MUST.
Comes with the gauges and hoses for gas, and as said above they are identical to the bigger brand names inside.

They have a 3 year no hassle warrantee and use standard consumables.
110 volt

As a welding supervisor for 10+ years of my career at Newport News Shipbuilding, I would recommend a MIG over the flux core. MIG will handle anything you need around the home / garage / farm, especially if you get a 220. Right now I'm using a 220 Lincoln that I bought 15 years ago used. Never had any problem at all and does everything I need. It will run flux core but I've never needed it. Whatever you get, PRACTICE on scrap before you attempt any real work. Easy to make a nice looking bead that has poor penetration.

It never ceases to amuse me when all the guys come out recommendin a Cadillac welder for a Chevrolet budget.

with a flux wire feed, its all about heat and wire feed. Both cant be really controlled with a pair of hi-lo switches. Plus the consumables are hit and miss. If you got good penetration, a grinder can make most flux welds look OK.

A grinder does not make you a welder, but a cheap machine is really hard to learn to weld on.

I bought a Holbert 140, for home use, for what it costs its reasonable, hook it up to a bottle, buy a bigger spool of wire for it.
I really like the Lincoln 225 they have at work, but man they are expensive.

"It never ceases to amuse me when all the guys come out recommendin a Cadillac welder for a Chevrolet budget."
My own idea is buy a good one, buy it once. Save up for it if you have to.

A grinder does not make you a welder, but a cheap machine is really hard to learn to weld on.

I bought a Holbert 140, for home use, for what it costs its reasonable, hook it up to a bottle, buy a bigger spool of wire for it.
I really like the Lincoln 225 they have at work, but man they are expensive.
I said a grinder can make a flux weld look good. Agree?

you guys are like a bunch of car sales people...i tell you my budget and you show me something 2 times as much

seriously though, thanks for all the input...keep me coming

I don't think anyone is trying to get you to intentionally overspend or do anything other then make a more informed decision. The biggest difference between off the wall units and name brand ones are parts availability. If it breaks a week out of warranty you throw the machine in the trash and go buy another and I have been there. At some point you might need a gas diffusor, trigger switch, gun liner, drive roller etc. Some of the import units you have to buy a complete gun(if you can even get one) to get what would be a $15 part at the welding supply shop for a Miller or Lincoln and there's something to said for being able to get a part in town when in the middle of a job. Most welding supply places will match internet prices on new machines and usually have some trade-in's kicking around so not a bad place to look for a used machine, and a relationship with them usually gets better pricing on gas and consumables. A cheap machine that you can't get parts for, leaks, or consumes tons of gas will cost more in the long run. Sometimes a little patience and putting a little more money together is the better deal.

Last edited:
Go to your local welding supply house (you'll go there soon enough anyhow) and tell them what you're after and your budget. You might just get a warranty repaired name brand machine for the price of a marginally supported repackaged import.

I'd hit up your local craigslist and pick up something like this:

Lincoln 180 welder

Once you buy a welder for $500, you've then gotta buy a gas cylinder, helmet, gloves, etc. That stuff adds up quick. If your budget truly is $500, you're better off buying a used name brand with all the fixins.

Last edited:
Just ordered the Eastwood mig 135 with the nice large view, auto darkening and natural color, with darkness adjustable helmet, two lens protectors and the sheepskin welding gloves AND the 25 foot heavy duty extension cord for about 500.
Beware, that size gauge of extension cables are expensive. (about 5+ bucks a foot)
I expect you have not really priced extension cords, but they are a MUST.
Comes with the gauges and hoses for gas, and as said above they are identical to the bigger brand names inside.

They have a 3 year no hassle warrantee and use standard consumables.
110 volt

Good deal. Let us know how you like it. I have zero complaints with mine.

Was talking to a buddy today, and he mentioned a mutual friend of ours works at a local welding supply house
I'll chat with him on low mile second hand units

My first and only welder. I had never welded before, but I learned how by fabricating my own cart. Continuously variable speed and voltage controls are nice; it allows small incremental tweeks in the middle of a project that's not going as smoothly as wished for.
095.jpg
168.jpg

Talked to my buddy last night, that was a dead end
So, back to craigslist I guess

My first and only welder. I had never welded before, but I learned how by fabricating my own cart. Continuously variable speed and voltage controls are nice; it allows small incremental tweeks in the middle of a project that's not going as smoothly as wished for.
View attachment 1715208373 View attachment 1715208374[/QUOTE
Talked to my buddy last night, that was a dead end
lincoln 140 HD is a good welder,Home depot sells them for about 525$

I second the Lincoln 140. It's a 110 unit. Gas or flux core. Not the most heavy duty machine but great for the hobbiest. I've had mine for years. Still love it. And at about $500 bucks, doable.

That can pay off if you're patient.

I bought this unit from an older guy in Ann Arbor for 250 bucks. He had only run a partial roll of wire through it. He also had the complete gas kit with it (that's an extra 180). I guess it depends on how big a hurry you're in.

welder.jpg

Your probably right
If I catch on off the list, I might get all that thrown in

-
Back