Loose Bolt on Intake

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
I am not sure what it is but I would like to find out as I think it maybe the source of an air leak. On the intake manifold between the third and fourth cylinder from the front of inches left of the carb there is a bolt. The bolt is loose I have removed it and it does not appear to be broke but it will not tighten down. It just kinda of sits there. I am pretty sure it is not an aftermarket "fix" because the wear on it is consistent with the rest of the intake. Any idea what it is?

View attachment 2011-02-17 11.35.34.jpg

View attachment 2011-02-17 11.35.48.jpg

Yup. That's one of the bolts that holds the intake and exhaust manifolds together. My bet is that it's broken, that's why it won't tighten up. What does the end of the bolt look like? If it's broken, you're gonna have to remove the intake and exhaust manifolds, separate them remove the broken bolt and put it all back together. There's no vacuum leak there as the manifold has a tube the bolt runs through.

Funny enough the bolt comes to a point at the end. Like it was supposed to be pointed. Kind of reminds me of some of a self tapping screw. Glad there is no air leak. Is it something that needs to be fixed right now or will I be ok till the "next" time?

-
Back