Loose shifting lever on column

-

nashvegas99

Reaction score
Not sure if this should go in transmission or steering, but I am trying to figure out the loose shifter on the column. I haven't tore into it yet, but my 3 on the tree is pretty loose and at times can just fall into neutral from 1st when the clutch is depressed. I would like to think that it could be something very simple like a loose bolt or something, but with my luck it'll be the whole transmission linkage/shifter/body or something crazy like that...haha
any words of wisdom from all you smarter-than-me-people?

you'll just have to examine all the linkage to see where the slop is. you wouldnt be the first person to delete the column and put in a floor shifter.

I'm far away from being able to do a column to floor shift. bench seat, very limited knowledge of that part of building, and a very limited budget for a long time. I have a 65 manual and there is something about a bushing screw and turning the bushing down. not sure what that means, but i'll look into it. I just wasn't sure if telling about the issue brought back some ideas that others had seen and used.

I bet you have worn out bushings in your linkage.
Try taking it apart and see if you can turn the bushings around to give it less slop.
Make sure the linkage is adjusted properly while you're at it, and grease everything up......
Quick and easy, costs no money , and it'll get you by until you can convert to floor shift or rebuild the linkage correctly.

Wavy spring washers can firm that up also, and it's super easy.
They just increase the drag on the linkage so it only moves when you move it.

Wavy spring washers can firm that up also, and it's super easy.
They just increase the drag on the linkage so it only moves when you move it.

Explain this one a little more. Maybe some pictures. Im going to remove the steering wheel later to check things out

Explain this one a little more. Maybe some pictures. Im going to remove the steering wheel later to check things out

Most of your moving linkage parts are in the engine compartment or along the connections going down to the trans, and if you use spring washers along with the normal ones they will cause the joints to get tighter and keep things from moving due to the added tension.

There are different kinds like these, and they carry them at Ace Hardware.

Attachments

• Spring_Washer.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 123
  • wavewasher.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 101
Update...I added a pic and short video to show the linkage under hood and for any help on where to put the wavy washers.

Not sure if this should go in transmission or steering, but I am trying to figure out the loose shifter on the column. I haven't tore into it yet, but my 3 on the tree is pretty loose and at times can just fall into neutral from 1st when the clutch is depressed. I would like to think that it could be something very simple like a loose bolt or something, but with my luck it'll be the whole transmission linkage/shifter/body or something crazy like that...haha
any words of wisdom from all you smarter-than-me-people?

image.jpeg

Update...I added a pic and short video to show the linkage under hood and for any help on where to put the wavy washers.

View attachment 1715010260
Almost 3 years later?

Yep. Unfortunately life and school got in the way. I've done brakes and got her running and driving but now I need to get shifter right so I can get her tagged for short trips to the dollar general, haha. Odds and ends don't stop when life starts a new direction

-
Back