Loosened Distributor hold down bolt, car won't turn over...

-
Xs another one. Battery, battery, battery related is the place to start.

X82, I agree...either dead battery or bad ground. After you fix that you may have other issues as well, but fixing your timing and such just takes a few minutes.

it did make a chattering / machine gun sound

. Clean the cables and charge the battery for four hours. If that doesn't work, take the battery to a parts store, they will check it for free, and if it is no good, hey you're already there, get a new one.

x2................................

THIS SOUND changes everything. That is almost always...............

A loose / bad / dirty battery clamp or bad main cable, either hot or ground or BOTH

or a battery that's low / dead

or a battery going / gone bad

These are in order of "most probable" and "most hopeful" LOL

Hey guys, just wanted to report back that it was the dang battery.
I feel stupid.

Well, at least the battery has been replaced, timing set, and carb adjusted. Sure is running good now!

Thanks again!

I feel stupid.

Well, at least the battery has been replaced, timing set, and carb adjusted. Sure is running good now!

Thanks again!

Good news! This is learning. Next time you will be.... shoot I know exactly what it is and possibly you will be able to help someone else! :cheers:

So...do you know why the battery failed?

as someone else suggested, I think it was just old and when I knocked the distributor, it took all it's life to try and start (I honestly have no idea how old that battery was).

I feel stupid.

Thanks again!

Congratulations on getting it going.

Some words from a dear friend comes to mind. "Use the KISS program." KISS means Keep It Simple Stupid.

I used to try to over think everything and couldn't see the forest because there was too many trees in the way. After having him drive KISS in my head long enough I finally learned it works. I sure miss my friend since he passed away.

-
Back