Loosing radiator fluid ?

-

Tomopar

Reaction score
No leaks in the radiator or hoses, pressure tested holds fine in radiator and cap. No water in oil, no oil in water, no smoke from exhaust. Now what ?
Level in radiator drops 1" to 1 1/2" in 8 hours. Nothing noted on the floor over night. Any ideas, need help !

Thermostat tests good. Would there not be some sign if . . .

*Blown Head Gasket
*Cracked Head
*Warped head block mate
*Cracked cylinder head

Only sign is fluid loss used a powder container of Aluma-seal in case of tiny leak somewhere, nothing changed.

arnt u suppose to let the aluma stuff sit there for a couple days till it works its magic if the proper amount of antifreeze isnt there fluid will evaqporate

Dunno what you are working on but if you dont have a recovery system / overflow tank, low radiater is normal.

A radiator needs about an 1" or so for expansion, so if it's that low from the neck, it's fine.

Thanks to all of you who posted replys and you were all correct.

I am working without an overflow recovery system.

The car sat for two days radiator tank looked low but the fins were covered with about 1/2". Don't know if the Aluma-Seal made the coolant look more Dirty but it looked a little darker and there was a slippery feel to the fluid like thin oil but not oil because the smell was radiator fluid period. So . . .

I removed the thermostat which had not been done in 3 years since I got the car. Who ever worked on the thermostat last did not use a gasket and did use a half of a tube of RTV orange, it was used to bed the thermostat and the match between the cover and head so much was used it squeezed out on top of the diaphram base backside and was broken loose but a cured runner of it sometimes hung-up and may have affected the operation from time to time. Cleaned it all up likely ten or fifteen years worth. Tested the thermostat. I know their cheap but this looked good but for surface rust which a little time with 1500 W or D sandpaper cleaned up nice. A new fel-pro gasket with a lite coat of RTV blue. Now been five days and 87 miles still no leaks, fluid is about 1 1/4" below neck base. Seems fine ! ! !

For right now I plan to leave well enough alone till oil change, lube and a radiator flush, one that will flush the engine too. Refill using a new packet of aluma-seal and see how it goes.

I hate to do anything right now because it's all going sooooo! good.

Bottom line here I think is . . . I'm a believer in RTV but in modest portion. And it does not replace a little extra time cleaning mating surfaces. And a $2 gasket as a spacer alone it worth the cost. The factory thought so.

Thanks to you A-Bodies Only posters.

Don't put any more aluma seal in unless you need it. Too much and you could be plugging holes you ought not.
How often do you add water? Are you adding water & antifreeze or just water?
C

+1 On NOT adding more Aluma-seal. If you dont need to keep adding fluid then leave it alone. It will tend to run a little low due to expansion.
Frank

Level in radiator drops 1" to 1 1/2" in 8 hours.
Under what conditions? 8 hours of steady driving, then checked at the end of the trip? Or 8 hours of sitting while it cools down and fluid contracts? Or...?

If it's actually losing coolant as you drive, you're right to be concerned. To be truly sure that it's not burning coolant through a cylinder head leak (or other malady you mentioned), the only way I know of is using a block tester attached to the radiator neck. The presence of any combustion gasses bubbling through the blue fluid will turn it yellow. If it stays blue for several minutes, you can relax.

This test is incredibly sensitive-- will pick up on any problems even in their infancy. By the time it gets bad enough to see smoke out the tailpipe, you'll be losing a lot more than just 1" in 8 hours of driving.

Can't say I've ever needed to check a Mopar, though. ;)

- Erik

64 Valiant, 170 3-spd
82 Volvo wagon, 5.0 5-spd

It's all running perfect now fluid level is holding steady temp is great so I am pleased and I'm just going to keep an eye on it now.

I have used aluma-seal off and on in cars of mine for 40 years, in my teens I was told by a auto expert of the time that Aluma-Seal is used by almost all factories after assembly to guard aginst any small leaks, and that itis left in because it doesn't hurt anything and keeps on working. This was at an Autorama Car Show at an Aluma Seal Booth in Miami. 1950'ish !

But I do agree with you all things in moderation.

62 Valiant, 170 3spd
63 Fury, 318 PB Auto
66 D-Dart 273 Auto, soon 4spd
72 Duster 225 super/6 Auto 3spd w/lockout

-
Back