loping, grinding sound form the body?!

-

KramerSwinger70

70 Dart Swinger360
Reaction score
been kinda freakin me out for a while now. maybe someone here knows whats up. in my 70 dart, if i take a hard turn (such as a Uturn at the culdasack of a street) and crank the wheel all the way to the left(or right), i can feel a really hard grinding. it kinda lopes, not a solid EEEEERRRRT, more like ERT....ERT....ERT...(dont judge me on my onamonapia)

no idea what it could be. any help is appreciated! thanks!

It sounds like the tire is rubbing on the frame or fender.
Is it more prevelant when you turn left or right or are both the same?
Do you feel any pulsing or feed back in the steering wheel?
Look for rub marks created by the tire on the front suspension components etc.
Just a guess.

hmm. sounds like a possibility. i feel it in the sterrin wheel, its on both sides. that would also explain the uneven wear on the inner part of my tires!

how would i go about fixin it?

Maybe try a stock sized tire and wheel combo and see if it still persists.
What size tires are you running on the car now?
The largest wheel/tire combo available for your car was a E-70-14 on a 5 1/2" rim which is similar to a 215-70-14 these days.

well i dont think its tire rubbin. forgot that its my rear tires that have innner wear (though that may have been the ones in front that were rotated). either way i turned the wheels all the way out an saw now tire marks or anything on the inner fenders or anything.

any other thoughts? forgot 2 get the size of the tire

Its probably the steering stops. Just put some grease on the lower control arm where it makes contact with the steering arm bolts at full turn on each side. It might help.

George

-
Back